Coturnix Quail foot BROKEN OFF - ADVICE NEEDED

Good morning everyone.
My pet quail (her name is Friend) is still eating normally and is not panting. She is also surprisingly walking/flapping around a lot on my lap.
I have took some pictures of her enclosure and her wound.
How bad does the wound look to you guys? You can see bone which is concerning ... I am going to drench her wound with Vetericyn then put there back in her enclosure. Thank you for your time.View attachment 3831429View attachment 3831436View attachment 3831430View attachment 3831431View attachment 3831432View attachment 3831433View attachment 3831434View attachment 3831428View attachment 3831426
Vetericyn isn’t an antibiotic, FYI.

Hello everyone, sorry for the late update and reply!
So far she seems to still be doing well.
Last night and today I soaked her wound in Epsom Salt water for 20 mins each time. I have also been multiple times a day swapping her paper towel litter with fresh paper towel and spraying her wound with vetericyn.
She was been very active and eating well.
Tomorrow I will post pictures of her.

I didn't realize how different Vetericyn and triple anti bacterial were.
I can get her some triple anti bacterial tomorrow.
Should I alternate between the both Vetericyn and triple anti bacterial?
Thank you all for the valuable information! I will keep you all posted.

Hello everyone, sorry for the late update and reply!
So far she seems to still be doing well.
Last night and today I soaked her wound in Epsom Salt water for 20 mins each time. I have also been multiple times a day swapping her paper towel litter with fresh paper towel and spraying her wound with vetericyn.
She was been very active and eating well.
Tomorrow I will post pictures of her.

I didn't realize how different Vetericyn and triple anti bacterial were.
I can get her some triple anti bacterial tomorrow.
Should I alternate between the both Vetericyn and triple anti bacterial?
Thank you all for the valuable information! I will keep you all posted.
Use both! Clean with vertricyn then apply with triple antibiotic ointment. The generic one from Walgreens works very well and is one I have used on multiple occasions. Glad she’s doing ok, very traumatic situation and I hope both of you are able to get through this!

Morning everyone. Sorry for the late update!!
Yesterday a F-ing Racoon ripped open a part of my chicken shed yesterday. Thankfully it was too busy stealing eggs to hurt my chickens, but left me hours of repair work.

Last night I soaked Friend's foot in Epsom Salt water for 10 mins.

She is walking around, eating, and pooping normally.

But today while inspecting her I noticed some of her leg has turned yellow and her knee is swollen. I am very concerned, does anyone know what this means?

I am about to put some Triple Anti Bacterial of her wound ...
Here are some pictures of her:
View attachment 3834867View attachment 3834868View attachment 3834869View attachment 3834870

View attachment 3834870View attachment 3834871View attachment 3834872View attachment 3834873View attachment 3834874View attachment 3834876View attachment 3834869View attachment 3834867

The yellow could be some bruising, but I’m not sure. The swelling is concerning. Are you using Neosporin and cleaning x2 a day still? Did you have any antibiotics on hand by chance? @Wyorp Rock did recommend using one since bone is exposed. Let us know if you have any. If not, there may be members here who can offer you advice on an alternative route to get them, since I believe you said vet care is not an option. Someone may even have advice on using something else in place of an antibiotic if you cannot get any.

You have 2 threads going...

Looks like fat deposits to me.
Do you detect any odors?

Can you tell us if you have any antibiotics on hand? If so, what do you have?
I understand she seems to be doing o.k., which is great and I do hope she doesn't get an infection.

Again, I'd wrap the stump, tend to it daily and get her on abx. If a vet is an option, that would be a good idea, so the leg can be amputated at the joint.

The only thing I have to add at this time, is if you have any antibiotics on hand, let us know what you have. Since bone is involved, I would recommend an antibiotic.

Do you have any triple antibiotic ointment, vet wrap and gauze?

I recommend that the leg be wrapped so the wound doesn't get soiled.

Apply a little triple antibiotic ointment to the wound, add a small square of non stick gauze or pad to the "stump" end for protection and cushioning, then wrap with vet wrap.

You'll want to clean the wound and change the dressing at least once daily.

You have 2 threads going...

Looks like fat deposits to me.
Do you detect any odors?

Can you tell us if you have any antibiotics on hand? If so, what do you have?
I understand she seems to be doing o.k., which is great and I do hope she doesn't get an infection.

Again, I'd wrap the stump, tend to it daily and get her on abx. If a vet is an option, that would be a good idea, so the leg can be amputated at the joint.
Sorry for the late reply! That stupid Racoon is back again today, have been running around fixing up my chicken shed. I am moving them to a different enclosure until I can finish repairing their shed.

So far I don't detect any odors.
Can I wrap the stump with a bandaid? Or vet wrap and paper towel?
I have Triple Anti Bacterial, Vetericyn, and witch hazel (if that counts as one).

Should I soak her wound in Epsom Salt everyday? So far I have been doing it once a day, everyday, for 10 - 20 mins. I am not overdoing it, right?
I am also switching her paper towel litter multiple times a day to make sure it stays clean.

Thank you so much for your time!

P.S. I am allowed to do 2 threads at once, right? If not, I can remove one. I just did it because I thought I would reach more people if I cross posted it on both the emergencies and quails threads.

Thank you for your time!

If you have vet wrap, you can use a bandaid or paper towel to cover the stump, then just wrap the stump so it stays clean after you've soaked it.

You are allowed to have as many threads as you wish. It can get confusing to have more than one, but if you are able to keep up with it all, then no worries.

Sorry that you are dealing with a Racoon. Unfortunately, a lot of times once they get honed in on your coop/chickens, they just keep coming back even when you have made appropriate changes/repairs.
Not sure where you live, you may be able to trap and dispatch, you'd have to check your local and state regulations. Also you would want to check what type of trap you can use. I use dog proof traps when I have a Racoon is bothersome. Whatever you do, please don't trap and release somewhere else, you will just be dumping your problem onto someone else.

Keep an eye on the coloration. Swelling can mean a multitude of things but because of the circumstances I would worry about an inner infection that could occur in the wound when it has healed over. Is it squishy inside? Does it feel like fluid is maybe trapped inside her leg or does it just feel like flesh? Is it overly warm?

Back
Top Bottom