Day 19 temperature too high on digital thermometer

Mal_03

Chirping
Jan 31, 2019
Islamabad, Pakistan.
Hi everyone!

I'm on day 19 of my bantam eggs and yesterday was lockdown, I have a separate homemade still-air styrofoam incubator for lockdown. I moved them from my HHD forced air incubator to the homemade one.

The temperature and humidity weren't going up before lockdown. So I changed the bulb from a 28watt to 40watt and added wet wash clothes. Both my Mercury thermometer and my mini LCD digital thermo-hygrometer were almost the same on temperature.

I let it be and once the temp and humidity was just right I put the eggs in and left them overnight. I woke up to find my humidity and temperature over the top 90% and 105 F on tbr mercury one which was above egg level and 69 C on the digital, it spiked during the night despite several vent holes, now I'm afraid the eggs are cooked :/ and I'm scared to candle to check because I shouldn't be touching them. I immediately replaced the bulb and let the temperature and humidity come down.

Now my Mercury thermometer and the digital are at the base level of the egg and they read, 98 F on the mercury and 59 C on the digital! I don't know which one is messed up, I'm pretty sure the digital one is wrong, because it can't be that high, it doesn't even feel it when I put my hand in and the egg is not hot to the touch.

Please tell me which to follow and if you all think my eggs were killed due to the overheating.
Thanks!

It does sound as if the digital is off. Go with the F. one. While 105 is too hot it is just 3 degrees too high. There's a good chance the eggs are still alive. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. Good luck.

If you want, candle an egg tomorrow-take a picture of what you see and post it. If the picture is of good quality I can tell you if it's alive.

Second thought, do not candle as the eggs should be actively hatching. Leave the incubator closed unless absolutely necessary.

Last edited:
If you want, candle an egg tomorrow-take a picture of what you see and post it. If the picture is of good quality I can tell you if it's alive.

Second thought, do not candle as the eggs should be actively hatching. Leave the incubator closed unless absolutely necessary.

Thanks for replying :)

It's alive!! I quickly and very gently candled one to check for life, and what I saw was in the air cell area a shadow slightly moving and the air cells shape was a bit weird. Yesterday it was round and perfect, today it was sort of distorted, I read somewhere that it draws down or something when the chick is attempting to or already internally pipped, but I didn't see any internal pip just a shadow moving slightly in the air cell area.
So what does that mean? Has it pipped?

There's still no external pip or any movement or sound within the egg. I read that bantam eggs hatch early so should I be worried if there is no external pip by end of day 20.

Also, this digital thermo-hygrometer is literally driving me nuts. I have 2/3 of the incubator covered with water containers and wet cloths/sponges and still the humidity is fluctuating between 40 to 50 on the meter. How come? The top of my incubator is dripping constantly and can barely see through the glass, is it working right or not? I don't have another meter and I'm afraid the humidity is low, resulting in no hatches or failed ones.

Back
Top Bottom