Gosling Still has stump at navel at 15 days

Earthling3

In the Brooder
Sep 8, 2022
Hello! My 15 day old embden still has her umbilical/navel stump. It's dry and dark and I think rather stuck to her feathers. I read to keep it dry and let it fall off on its own, but it's been significantly longer than any I've found online and so I wondered, is this within the range of normal? Should I do anything? I don't want to risk infection by doing something wrong or not doing anything when I should.
Should I be giving her a bath or letting her soak it? I've read about her not being waterproof (she's an incubator baby, not with Mum) that water may be dangerous for causing chills, plus if there is a wound there I don't want to cause infection.

There's no inflammation and she's a happy little bird. She just has this teeny tiny black scab persistently sticking about.
Should I do anything to help it? I wondered about trimming the feathers that are touching it to see if that allowed it to ease off. Surely at 15 days it should be closed? I don't want the scab to hold the wound open.

For context - she's a lone hatcher but she has constant human company and a fluffy teddy. She's also got a little blister on her back from hatch, which had a cut on it which seemed infected but has since cleared up with antibiotic gel and cleanings. She also kept her egg tooth until 1 week old. Maybe she just likes holding onto things. She had an interrupted incubation (circumstances outside of my control) and was in a foot over head position with her cord over her face. I had to assist hatch as she was getting nowhere but getting weaker. She came out mostly fine, bar the blister and her cord. She was attached with dried membrane to the egg and kicked at the egg and ripped her cord. I used iodine and cotton buds to clean it as soon as that happened and then a few times after. She fluffed up and started doing well. A tiny amount of splay in her legs in the first couple of days but it was quickly corrected and now she's just perfect. Perfect but concerning with regards to her blister and tummy.

This is my first and hopefully last experience of hatching.

as long as the stump is dry i would give her a bath, i give my (incubator) ducklings a warm bath a day after hatching you just have to stay with her and when she want to come out take her out or when she starts to get water logged, they love water so much and it is a good activity for her but make sure the water is warm to the touch not cold and not hot, it might help get the scab off
but @WVduckchick @New duck mommy 2021 @sourland or @Miss Lydia might have another idea

By 2 weeks that should be closed up anc falling off
I would give a bath as that’s probably egg goo dried to her
It’s like cement once dried and wont just fall off
All of my duckings get baths day 3 and up
They preen abd use the oil gland
Mom doesn’t use her oil gland on them
I watched my broody duck with her babies
Warm water make sure it’s not to deep so she can stand up
No more then 5-10 mins
Take dry paper towels to blot dry her as it absorbs most of the water
Set her under heat and she will start to preen on her own

Back