Let's talk Oregano Essential Oil for Chickens... Uses? Dosing? Benefits? Can it be used daily?

There are actually several poultry specific oregano supplements on the market and some are produced by well known brands like DurVet. I wouldn't risk essential oils, go with a well known poultry brand if you are going the oregano route. Also if your essential oils are eating through a cup they are most likely mixed with something else especially if you are buying cheap oils. They're not well regulated by any means. For example, if you see a brand that is selling rose essential oil for something like $20 run away from any and all of their products. It is HIGHLY diluted with something else other than rose oil. True pure rose oil will run you $200+ for 5ml-10ml due to the amount of rose petals required for extraction. I do not use essential oils so I am by no means promoting them however, I am absolutely fascinated with distilling things so I like to research these type of things.

Last edited:
I just grow and dry oregano for mine. The scent or flavor is apparently too strong--like Killer Bs said, they're not enthusiastic about fresh oregano. I do mix a tablespoon per lb of dried to their morning wet mash, and they love it.

What about an Oregano Oil supplement that is meant for humans? I had done a lot of reading about oregano oil where some chicken parents were saying how healthy their chickens are since adding it. I missed this thread, which makes a lot of good points against using a manufactured supplement.

I have planted some oregano, but it is going to be a while before it is ready, so I ordered this:
1684466739890.png
1684466663596.png

My thought was that I could pierce the gel and add a drop to a gallon of water, but since there are no immediate health concerns, I am thinking that I should send this back and just wait for my oregano to mature? I just want to give them every possible health advantage.

Back
Top Bottom