Pet Peeves

I got it from you! 😜🤣❤️
Season 9 Thank You GIF by The Office

I wonder if anyone still runs bulls with dairy cows? My father was attacked by an Ayrshire bull - horns were so long my father grabbed on to them as bull pinned him against the barn wall. Farm dog came into action and fought bull off my Dad. Farmer in back of us was attacked by a Holstein bull when he was picking up a new born calf in the field. Bull had him down and was working him over when once again a farm dog came to the rescue. After that she became an indoor dog and was treated like a queen for the rest of her life. I think I'll still take the ticks over the bulls. :p
I never went anywhere on the farm without the trusty farm dog, usually by the time the bull was with the cows he had high regard for the farm dog. The dog was trained to keep an eye on the bull when there was any human and bull interaction. These were all Holstein bulls.
Sometimes when the bull was in the barnyard and dog wasn't right there with us, the bull would get a bit goggle eyed and act boisterous. All we needed to do was to call out the dogs name and the bull would transform into a docile member of the barnyard. Along with that, as long as the dog was visible to the bull, we could do anything in the barnyard that we wanted and the bull remained perfectly docile.
We weren't foolish enough to try anything without the dog present because a decade earlier my dad had gotten several ribs broken by a bull and also was rescued by a farm dog.
The dairy bulls were never allowed out to pasture, breeding was either in the barnyard or in the free stall area.

If you read the whole article and comprehend the whole, it says that oppossums will eat up to 96% of the ticks on their body, but that they don't purposely seek them out to eat them. If an oppossum would eat up to 5000 ticks a week that would mean they have to eat 714 a day, which is nearly impossible as I see it.
Here is one paragraph from the article:
To check the fact, the members of the study crew analyzed the stomach content of 32 Virginia opossums from central Illinois. But they failed to find ticks or tick parts in the stomach contents of Virginia opossums. They have used various methods to check the traces of ticks in their stomach. But none of the techniques show any evidence.
And yet in the same write-up it continues to to paint the picture that oppossums are voracious tick eaters.
https://stopticks.org/prevent-tick-bites/do-opossums-eat-ticks/

Today's primary peeve: GPS, google maps, that keeps trying to change my chosen route! I swear, it's worse than Doug in the movie Up: SQUIRREL! Oh look, I found ANOTHER alternate route! No thank you, I do NOT want to drive through 40 miles of corn fields, zigzagging all the way! I want to stay on actual PAVED ROADS!!! And when I pick a route, why can't I lock it in? I imagine the soothing tones of the computer from 2001: A Space Oddysey, saying, "I'm sorry, Captain, I can't allow you to do that. :barnie And apparently they don't make paper maps any more....

Back
Top Bottom