Sick chicken and I'm inexperienced, please help?

Nikki90

Chirping
Oct 10, 2021
Hello, I have a sick chicken who is basically just standing still in my yard most of the day puffed up. Her comb and face have turned really pale and she isn't eating or drinking much but will if you put it in front of her for a little.ive checked her for mites/lice I don't see anything and I checked her poop I don't see any worms? She has no discharge from her eyes or anything and her breathing seems fine. She's been this way for about a week. All my other chickens are doing fine? I've put electrolytes in their water to see if that would help but doesn't seem to be working. Any help would be appreciated, I am very new and don't know much about chicken ailments. Thank you for reading

Where do you live?

Where did you get your chickens? How old were they when you brought them home?

How many chickens do you have? Do they free range? Do you have a compost pile where they dig?

How old is this hen? When was the last time she laid an egg? Was it normal or shell-less?

Her poop has no worms, but what does it look like?

I live in South Carolina and got them from tractor supply when they were a few days old. They are now almost 3 years, they were labeled as easter eggers but that's a guess. I have 6 hens and a rooster. No compost pile, yes they free range and her poop was a little runny but wasnt much of it. She laid and egg about 5 days ago, a few days after she was showing weird signs. They were normal eggs. She laid I think 3 while she was acting funny. Thank you

She may be suffering from egg binding. Given the few clues, runny poop, behavior, and recent laying history, it would match up.

I suggest installing her in a pet crate on several old absorbent towels in a dim, quiet place. Provide her regular feed and water with a little sugar in it to elevate her glucose. Most important, give her a calcium citrate tablet directly in her beak. This will stimulate contractions to help expel the egg. Tomorrow give her another tablet if she still habn't passed the egg. There could be two eggs involved. Her behavior will change suddenly back to normal once the egg(s) are expelled.

This is what to buy.
P1010010.jpeg

She may be suffering from egg binding. Given the few clues, runny poop, behavior, and recent laying history, it would match up.

I suggest installing her in a pet crate on several old absorbent towels in a dim, quiet place. Provide her regular feed and water with a little sugar in it to elevate her glucose. Most important, give her a calcium citrate tablet directly in her beak. This will stimulate contractions to help expel the egg. Tomorrow give her another tablet if she still habn't passed the egg. There could be two eggs involved. Her behavior will change suddenly back to normal once the egg(s) are expelled.

This is what to buy. View attachment 3798675
Thank you for your reply! I will go to the store in a few minutes. I'm just wondering if that isn't what's wrong with her, if it would hurt her more by giving it to her? Obviously doing something is better than nothing though. Her comb has also been a little purple on the ends. Here is a pic of her now 😕 I also didn't add that she has trouble getting on/off the roost lately....I have to come out in the morning and get her down 😕

Attachments

• 20240411_192657.jpg
    20240411_192657.jpg
    614.2 KB · Views: 32
Sorry to hear about your bird. If you are able to, separating her can make it easier to treat her.

Is she eating much?

Her crop looks pretty engorged, not abnormal for this time of evening. Can you put her in a crate over night and check her crop in the morning before she eats or drinks anything and report back whether it is empty (flat).

Her crop looks pretty engorged, not abnormal for this time of evening. Can you put her in a crate over night and check her crop in the morning before she eats or drinks anything and report back whether it is empty (flat).
Yes, I have her in a cat carrier in my laundry room tonight. It might sound like a dumb question but how would I tell if her crop is empty in the morning..? Or full?

No dumb questions here, if you don't know, ask. Just feel her chest. Do it now and you'll feel a lumpy area, probably on her right side, that feels like a pocket full of food. That's what it is. She will digest that during the night. When you feel it in the morning it should feel flat. Let me see if I can find a diagram.

Back
Top Bottom