2 Barred Rock Chicks Pullet or Rooster? 4 week old pics updated

The two Barred Rock Chicks

• Pullet

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Cockerel

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters
I would say the top is definitely a cockerel, the bottom *may* be a pullet, but I'm leaning towards cockerel too. Although the comb isn't pink, it's still quite large for the age. I would post in a couple weeks with updates. :)

I really hope both arent cockerels. I have three chicks total these two and a Delaware. What I've noticed when I let them outside is that the barred rock chick with the more red comb stands over the other two while they dust bathe. It totally acts as a roo but the other two are always sticking together. So thats why I am hoping its just one that is a roo. I will go to the feed store today and take a pic to them to see if I can exchange the roo for another 4 week old pullet.

I will keep you updated.

Good luck at the feed store, I hope they have some girls for you to pick from. I agree with shmccarthy that the second chick just has more comb than I like to see at this age and that makes me lean towards boy now.

Here is a 7 week update. I went to the feed store and they said to wait till 12 weeks. At that point if I'm not sure they said to bring in the chick and that they will sex it. Here are the pics of the two barred rock and a delaware. Let me know what you think.

Well the 7 week old pictures, the barred rock with the red comb I feel is definitely a roo. Looking back at all your other pictures this one seemed to have developed a larger red comb than the other rock chick did. Also notice the stance in the picture where the rock and delaware are facing each other? That is a rooster stance coming from both of those. The other barred rock is surely a pullet with the lighter and smaller comb. The larger head spot is most always a sign of a rooster in barred rock chicks. The smaller the head spot the more likely it will be a pullet. My local feed mill told me that as long as they have been selling chicks that they order from Meyer hatchery there is at least one to two roosters mixed in with the bunch even when they say they are supposed to be all pullets. When I started out I purchased point of lay hens just so I already knew I wouldn't end up with a ton of roosters.

Well just to update everyone. I believe that all 3 are girls now. No eggs yet but I am not seeing any signs of a rooster. These pics are at almost 19 weeks old

Back
Top Bottom