• Cockerel

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters

nickk

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 28, 2013
Hi,

My first post on here. I got 3 baby chicks that are 2 weeks old. 2 are Barred Rock and one is Delaware. I think that the Delaware is too young to figure out the sex. I know that Barred Rock chicks have different characteristics from male and female.

Mine have darker feet, a tail, they are darker in general and seem to be getting their feathers rather quickly.

Here are some of the pics of the 3. I would like to hear what some of the experienced people have to say pullet or cockerel?

Thanks,

Last edited:
I raised 6 barred rock pullets from a few days old. At the time I did some research to see if there was a way to know for sure. So I read that the smaller yellow head spot meant that it was a pullet while a larger head spot meant a rooster. When I went to the store I hand picked the ones with the smaller yellow head spots. I was getting a 7th chick for free as they were running a special so I chose one with a larger head spot hoping it was a rooster. turns out my 7th chick was a barred rock mixed breed pullet. But the other 6 were pullets.

Its too early to tell on the Delaware, but from the coloring (males are lighter than females), I'd say you have two Barred Rock females.

With the BR I am going with the darkest one as female, the other chick has a bigger white spot than I like to see, the white stripes are pretty wide, but it does have black down its legs and is darkish, so going with maybe boy, opinion subject to change at next picture. Are their legs as pink-white as they look in the pictures? The hatchery BR I've had usually had a lot yellower looking legs. With the Delaware, too young to tell, but just guessing at girl on that one just because it looks feminine to me.

Here are the updated pictures. They are 3 weeks now exactly. Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom