2 Barred Rock Chicks Pullet or Rooster? 4 week old pics updated

The two Barred Rock Chicks

• Pullet

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Cockerel

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters
Could both be pullets..could both be cockerels.. I keep flip-flopping on the one on the right with the smaller head spot, leaning more towards pullet at the moment, but I'm fairly positive the left one with the bigger head spot is a cockerel.
Also, are you positive they're BR? They look quite cuckoo maran-ish to me. Could be the lighting and resolution on my screen, I guess, or tired eyes..

Last edited:
I got them from a reputable feed store and they were picked out of the BR section. The thing is all of their other traits lean towards pullets. They both have darker feet, their tone is overall darker then lighter, the white spots are random, no patterns like the cockerels have, they both have tail feathers already which pullets get theirs sooner then cockerels. And both have same amount of feathers. SO i don't think its a mix, its either both pullets or both cockerels.

I'm still voting the same way, one with the bigger spot maybe boy, smaller spot probably girl. I also wonder about the cuckoo maran vs BR, their feet really looked pink/white in the baby pictures, they look a little more yellow in these older pictures. What color are their feet actually? Feed store birds are usually hatchery birds and they can be rather variable in type.

Black with a yellow tint. They seem to be getting darker though. It might be the way the picture was taken.

4 weeks old now.

null_zps91ff86b6.jpg

null_zps392fad78.jpg

null_zps268546db.jpg

null_zps5ce063dd.jpg

Last edited:
The top one looks like a boy to me, and the second one looks like a possible boy now.

The tail feathers are looking that way, and are more developed than their age suggests . That's why i think. :)

Back
Top Bottom