Anyone Linux users out there?

Professionally, Intel until very recently. There was nothing that could touch Xeon for a long time. Now we run a lot of Epyc and we have a lot of bare metal clients who want AMD. We still do more Intel at work but the split is roughly 60/40 now.

Personally, I've always preferred AMD for my home builds. Early issues with heat aside, the price-to-performance point on them has always been something I've been happy with. Multithread in the ryzen era has been a very strong market for AMD in the consumer space, and that's what I'm usually looking for. I'll give up peak single thread performance to make it up on the spread at 2/3 the price (or less)
I've always used Intel. A lot of jailbreak things have issues with AMD.

Yeah, it's a PowerPC. They were the biggest clone brand on the market and outsold Apple in the consumer market becuase they were half the cost at the time.
I figured. This was one of my first computers, also older than me.
20230404_160100.jpg
20230404_160137.jpg
20230404_155538.jpg

I remember those little shuttle cases. They are great for mini itx gaming builds for like lan parties.
This one barely scrapes by with turning on. Video is practically impossible to watch, let alone gaming. Solo core processor, a gigabyte of RAM, and slow USB ports. Not to mention the noise it generates. It used to be a web server.
I use a laptop on a dock hooked up to my monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

This is one of the most 90s' things I've seen in a while, and I absolutely love it.

Dad's a computer hobbyist, so I grew up on Linux and we've fiddled with several different versions over the years - Ubuntu, Knoppix, PuppyLinux, Bunsenlabs, Crunchbang, etc. I currently use Ubuntu Studio exclusively.
I used to use Windows XP. Then my Dad introduced me to Linux. I've been using it ever since then. I've used OpenSUSE, Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Debian, PuppyLinux, Fedora (my favorite-KDE spin), Rocky Linux, Android, PostmarketOS, Manjaro, Mobian, OpenMandriva, Mandriva, and more. I could go on and on. Right now I'm on Fedora 37 KDE. I wanted something other than Kubuntu so I tried Fedora KDE and loved it. The stock GNOME Fedora was not good enough, as the customization is limited.

I used to use Windows XP. Then my Dad introduced me to Linux. I've been using it ever since then. I've used OpenSUSE, Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Debian, PuppyLinux, Fedora (my favorite-KDE spin), Rocky Linux, Android, PostmarketOS, Manjaro, Mobian, OpenMandriva, Mandriva, and more. I could go on and on. Right now I'm on Fedora 37 KDE. I wanted something other than Kubuntu so I tried Fedora KDE and loved it. The stock GNOME Fedora was not good enough, as the customization is limited.
I have some sign making software (like for vinyl cutters) that will not run on anything more current than XP. So it runs on an XP VM on my desktop box. Getting all the virtual COM ports set up for the serial cable that is needed to talk to the cutter was... fun.

I have some sign making software (like for vinyl cutters) that will not run on anything more current than XP. So it runs on an XP VM on my desktop box. Getting all the virtual COM ports set up for the serial cable that is needed to talk to the cutter was... fun.
I can imagine. I still have a good amount of XP computers.
Once we got a Windows 8 computer from someone. My Dad set it up and said, "This is going to be fun" after taking a glance at all the bloatware on the Start Menu. We upgraded it to Windows 10 and you can hardly use it now.
Have you ever tried LineageOS?

Back
Top Bottom