Are these emu eggs fertile? Hatchalong

Egg #4 has arrived. The adult emus are moving around for their sleeping areas. So hunting for eggs in 8” of snow… it got down to 17F last night, hoping they sat next to it all night so it didn’t freeze. Checking it when I get home from work for cracks.

Egg #3 showed up Friday the 16th in the evening. These two are going in the incubator tonight.

Time to fill up gas cans for potential power outages!

The males will go broody after a good size clutch is laid. Goose didn’t last year, I think he was too young.

Sebastian would have last year, and he would this year if I let him. He's already sitting on the eggs as they're laid. He can't actually keep them warm enough to incubate in these temperatures, though, so if Ciara's still laying in March I'll let him keep a couple then.

I did try letting Goose brood on a few eggs last year, he just couldn’t figure it out. He would lay on them all night, then would get up and walk around all day. Luckily they were duds, but just wanted to see how he’d do.

So your male doesn’t wait for at least 3 or 4 eggs before sitting?

Nope, after she's laid like six or so eggs he'll just sit on the eggs as they're laid, even though I take them.

Back
Top Bottom