Best Foundation Type for 8' x 10'/ 8' x 12' Coop?

LittleBuffHen

In the Brooder
Apr 20, 2021
Hi Everyone! I am so happy to be on here! I have learned so much from so many kind people who have offered their expertise in helping myself and others on this journey of raising chickies! I have never posted anything so, here goes....!

I am getting 3 Orpington Pullets next Wednesday and I am going to be purchasing a shed to use for their coop once they are old enough to be outside. I previously had a coop that stood on legs and was 24" off of the ground with space beneath it for them to go to in the hot weather to cool off. I had to climb into the coop to clean it out so, I am excited about having a shed that I will be able to walk into and clean! The foundation for my last coop was plywood which worked well to keep things out, but it was also raised up off of the ground and sat on four 4x4 posts in the dirt.

I am going to have either an 8' x 10' shed or an 8' x 12' one. I have read multiple articles about foundations for Chicken coops and the top choice that I keep coming across is pouring a concrete slab. I am concerned about not letting anything get in from underneath the coop and I plan on doing a predator apron around my run. Does anyone know of any other foundation options that you have had success with that could be used to achieve the same goal, but be a bit more cost effective? They will be working hard giving me eggs so I will do whatever I need to keep them safe. Thank you!

I know a slab the full size is costly. A less costly option would be a perimeter foundation. It does not need to be frost line deep. A few inches below ground,, and a few inches above ground will work. This is a chicken coop,,,, not your home. You can pour that concrete yourself,, and not much,, compared to slab.
The floor can be earth. nothing wrong with that. I would use hay bedding,, as That is my choice. You choose what is available, and best for you. (wood chips, pine shavings, sand, and anything else)

A shed makes a great coop conversion. One thing to consider very seriously is VENTILATION..
A window to let in natural daylight is also important.
If you post a pix of shed you will be getting,,, we can suggest where ventilation should be at. Generally,, at the roof line, and gables,, if of that style.
Good to include your general location in your profile. Climate is a big factor in determining many features of different coops. Also if you could include the majority of predators you have in area. Different ways to deal with different kind.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

An apron will keep predators out from under a shed as well as out of the run.

We don't have to worry about termites and we have good drainage so put the shed on 4x4 skids. The builder said everyone just puts that on the grass but I overdo so put them on leveled cement blocks. Pouring cement seems way, way, way overkill to me. Maybe it wouldn't in a different climate or setting.

Welcome to BYC.

Where, in general, are you located? Climate matters. :)

Here in the US south it's common to put sheds up on concrete block pillars.
Hello! This is the method I'd like to use, but I'll likely use patio stones, bricks or cinderblocks and have read that they (the blocks) shouldn't be put directly on the soil and to put sand or gravel under them. Do you know what people are putting the blocks on?

Back
Top Bottom