bloody pip with white membrane

SomisPollos

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2015
Ok so Im on 21 day I can hear subtle chirps. through my brine sea mini, I see one pip that is on the bottom of the egg bc theres a small amount of blood on the paper towel , is that normal? I do not see any movement of the eggs though

Last edited:
Ok so Im on 21 day I can hear subtle chirps. through my brine sea mini, I see one pip that is on the bottom of the egg bc theres a small amount of blood on the paper towel , is that normal? I do not see any movement of the eggs though

The chick has pipped through a vein in the membrane. Not exactly a good thing. This is what I do, (you should do only what's comfortable for you,) I would pull it out, expand the pip hole, wet the membrane, especially where the blood is. Chicks can bleed out if they hit a prominent vein in the membrane, which is more common with malepositioned pippers because they are tapping through membrane taht hasn't absorbed the veins instead of int the air cell which is free of veining. If it is still alive you may need to start an assisted hatch, at least expand the pip hole and replace it to the bator wrapped in a damp paper towel.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching This is a good article on assisted hatching.

X
The chick has pipped through a vein in the membrane. Not exactly a good thing.  This is what I do, (you should do only what's comfortable for you,) I would pull it out, expand the pip hole, wet the membrane, especially where the blood is. Chicks can bleed out if they hit a prominent vein in the membrane, which is more common with malepositioned pippers because they are tapping through membrane taht hasn't absorbed the veins instead of int the air cell which is free of veining. If it is still alive you may need to start an assisted hatch, at least expand the pip hole and replace it to the bator wrapped in a damp paper towel. 
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching   This is a good article on assisted hatching.

X2 I agree with that advice

Thank you for that advice. How should I go about opening my incubator? None of my other eggs have pipped.... Wetted papertowel? Or unplug my incubator and bring the the bathroom with hot shower going? I read over that link.... I see they recommend to open up air way enough to see the beak, is that true for this situation or just open enough to see if it's alive?

Thank you for that advice. How should I go about opening my incubator? None of my other eggs have pipped.... Wetted papertowel? Or unplug my incubator and bring the the bathroom with hot shower going? I read over that link.... I see they recommend to open up air way enough to see the beak, is that true for this situation or just open enough to see if it's alive?
You can take it in the bathroom if you are comfortable with that, but in my opinion, moving an incubator full of eggs has more potential of causing death (if it gets dropped or jarred, and it has happened) than opening it where it sits, especially when there are no other pips. As long as your humidity is high (above 65%) opening it shouldn't cause a problem. If you find that the humidity drops then add a wet sponge/paper towel, or mist the inside with a water sprayer and it should rise right back up.

Yes, when you enlarge the pip it will allow you to see if it's alive and clear an open source of air for the chick.

Ok I grabbed the egg out and it's still alive chirping I peeled back the membrane enough to see the beak peaking through. I wrapped it up and place back! I came home
[/IMG]to a few more pipped eggs do these look okay?!

5 out of 7 hatched. The last to hatch though is struggling! Labored breathing and very lethargic :( hoping it pulls through!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom