Bloody stools/ Cocci

Nicechickens64

In the Brooder
Mar 24, 2024
Hi, I’m brand new to chickens I have 13 beautiful 3.5 week old chics. I noticed tonight bloody stools. Everyone is acting well. But, I’m fairly sure it’s Cocci. I have liquid corid 9.6 oral solution coccidiostat. Can someone please tell me how much of this that I put into 16 oz of water.annd how many days do I give them the corid?. And while I’m giving the corid. Also, are there any herbs I should mix into their food while they are on the corid. I’ve had them on vitamins and probiotics and apv from the day they came home. Thanks so so much for your help. I’m worried about them.

Stop the vitamins, they'll make coccidiosis worse.
No herbs or acv, they won't help this or anything.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/corid-amprolium-oral-drench-instructions.74391/
just curious why you say vitamins will make it worse? ive had goats for years and when the young ones start to nibble on anything they can put their mouths to coccidiosis is not uncommon. the standard treatment is vitB complex injections along with the corid as the corid strips thiamin from their systems. is this not true with chickens?

just curious why you say vitamins will make it worse? ive had goats for years and when the young ones start to nibble on anything they can put their mouths to coccidiosis is not uncommon. the standard treatment is vitB complex injections along with the corid as the corid strips thiamin from their systems. is this not true with chickens?
I'm not sure about goats, but with chickens you don't give vitamins at the same time. Corid is a thiamine inhibitor, if you give thiamine at the same time, you might a well not be treating them, the b's feed the coccidia and will make it flame out.
It's common practice to not give vitamins until after the corid treatment is done and they seem to be mending.
A quick search engine plug results that most people are on the fence on whether goats should be given a B shot with corid treatment or not.🤷🏼‍♀️

Hi, I’m brand new to chickens I have 13 beautiful 3.5 week old chics. I noticed tonight bloody stools. Everyone is acting well. But, I’m fairly sure it’s Cocci. I have liquid corid 9.6 oral solution coccidiostat. Can someone please tell me how much of this that I put into 16 oz of water.annd how many days do I give them the corid?. And while I’m giving the corid. Also, are there any herbs I should mix into their food while they are on the corid. I’ve had them on vitamins and probiotics and apv from the day they came home. Thanks so so much for your help. I’m worried about them.
Sorry no one answer your question.

Liquid Corid dose is 2 teaspoons per gallon of water.

For 16oz, you would use 1/4 teaspoon of Liquid Corid. Give for 5-7 days as the only drinking source of water. Do not add any EXTRA supplements to food/water that contain B1(Thiamine).

I don't have Goats...just a quicky look, it seems like Corid can be used to treat Coccidiosis in Goats, but a lot of references, including Merck list using Toltrazuril, Sulfa Antibiotics, etc. first before Corid, maybe the Corid is not quite as effective? don't know.

Anyway, where I get the info from and why I recommend NOT to give EXTRA B1(Thiamine) during the course of treatment (For Poultry) is the notes/actions in Plumb's Vet Drug Manual. ""Excess B1 can reduce or reverse the anticoccidial activity of the drug"".
I have found No Where in the info how much is deemed "Excess" so to err on the side of caution, just eliminate "Extra" for the 5-7 days of treatment when dealing with Poultry.

Poultry are also monogastric so they may also metabolize/absorb nutrients differently than ruminates? Just wonder, I would assume so?
Oh and I just looked it up...for goats/sheep - it only lists Lambs and the dose is 55mg/kg for 19 days. That's quite a long period of time and higher dose than poultry, maybe that's why some recommend to supplement the B1 too? Just speculating...
Hope that helps.

1719773336771.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom