Bobcat Killing My Chickens HELP!

May 16, 2021
At first I thought hawks for Killing them. I’ve noticed that my chickens would go week by week. Predator Killing 1-3 chickens per day to 5 a day. The fun fact was he would just kill the birds not eat there flesh only eating one of the animals flesh and leaving. One day I woke up early and caught a bobcat red handed killing 2 chickens one barnyard mix rooster and one brown Easter egger. What do I need to do protect them?

Last edited:
Bobcats are a huge challenge because they are very cunning and very determined. I've lost more chickens to bobcats than to any other predator. Even with chickens enclosed in a covered run, bobcats have the uncanny ability to find every vulnerability and get to their prey.

The only sure method of protecting your chickens is to build a secure run and run hot wire around it with a fence charger putting out electric pulses that will shock the animal when they make contact with it.

The trick is proper bait that a bobcat will go for. Peanut butter dabbed on the hot wire will lure most other predators to touch the wire, but bobcats need a special bait.

I use canned mackerel wrapped in a "burrito" of chicken wire and then attached to the hot wire with baling wire and this will in effect conduct electricity to the fish. (Do this with the charger off, please!)

The bobcat will smell the fish, try to get the fish off the wire, and end up getting a 10,000 volt shock to its tender mouth parts. It will never return.

Bobcats are a huge challenge because they are very cunning and very determined. I've lost more chickens to bobcats than to any other predator. Even with chickens enclosed in a covered run, bobcats have the uncanny ability to find every vulnerability and get to their prey.

The only sure method of protecting your chickens is to build a secure run and run hot wire around it with a fence charger putting out electric pulses that will shock the animal when they make contact with it.

The trick is proper bait that a bobcat will go for. Peanut butter dabbed on the hot wire will lure most other predators to touch the wire, but bobcats need a special bait.

I use canned mackerel wrapped in a "burrito" of chicken wire and then attached to the hot wire with baling wire and this will in effect conduct electricity to the fish. (Do this with the charger off, please!)

The bobcat will smell the fish, try to get the fish off the wire, and end up getting a 10,000 volt shock to its tender mouth parts. It will never return.
Can you explain the bait part a little more and explain the process a little more so I can make sure I do it correctly?

Hi. I see a bob about once a month cruising the perimeter on my coop cam. I have quarter inch hardware cloth on the bottom 4 feet of my coop run and buried it 6 inches underground. That stopped the coons and everything else. Nothing has gotten inside the perimeter. Here’s a pic of the latest cat cruising. This may be a large feral or a bob hybrid not sure. He’s glancing back over his right shoulder in this pic.

Attachments

• C2B430F3-69F1-4647-94E1-63536EE9F820.jpeg
    C2B430F3-69F1-4647-94E1-63536EE9F820.jpeg
    313.7 KB · Views: 137
Ps I’m sure someone will notice the coop door is regular chicken wire not the hardware cloth like the rest of the run but I’ve not had anyone get through the door either.

At first I thought hawks for Killing them. I’ve noticed that my chickens would go week by week. Predator Killing 1-3 chickens per day to 5 a day. The fun fact was he would just kill the birds not eat there flesh only eating one of the animals flesh and leaving. One day I woke up early and caught a bobcat red handed killing 2 chickens one barnyard mix rooster and one brown Easter egger. What do I need to do protect them?
So guys I luckily fixed problem. I fixed the coop door put hardware cloth around perimeter of the coop floor. Added Electric fencing from TSC and nothing happend but it only say 1 of this so hopefully it stays this way.

Back
Top Bottom