*Buff Orpington Thread!*

I know this is an old thread, but hoping someone will respond to my post here. My wife and have never before raised chickens, but we decided a few months ago to purchase 15 Buff Orpington chicks online. Through some research, I read that Orpys are cold weather birds. That is one of the main reasons we chose them, and they are friendly. Well, we live in Pinedale, WY. Few places in the lower 48 get as cold as it does here. It pretty much stays in the negative temps day and night thru January and February. With the wind chill here, it's typically about 20 degrees F lower than ambient temps. My question is, how cold of a temp can an adult Orpy handle? What temp should I try to regulate my coop, so they will maintain their desire to lay eggs, not just survive?
Oh, BTW, our Buffs are now seven weeks old, and we love them, especially our 17 year old daughter! They are beautiful birds.
1f604.png

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread, but hoping someone will respond to my post here. My wife and have never before raised chickens, but we decided a few months ago to purchase 15 Buff Orpington chicks online. Through some research, I read that Orpys are cold weather birds. That is one of the main reasons we chose them, and they are friendly. Well, we live in Pinedale, WY. Few places in the lower 48 get as cold as it does here. It pretty much stays in the negative temps day and night thru January and February. With the wind chill here, it's typically about 20 degrees F lower than ambient temps. My question is, how cold of a temp can an adult Orpy handle? What temp should I try to regulate my coop, so they will maintain their desire to lay eggs, not just survive?
Oh, BTW, our Buffs are now seven weeks old, and we love them, especially our 17 year old daughter! They are beautiful birds.
1f604.png

This thread is still pretty active. I'm in north central British Columbia Canada and my orps have been through -30 (and lower) degrees Celsius... Just the odd day in those temps not consistently that cold... the girls have started to lay, I supplement light about 14 hours a day... The cold snaps have only caused hiccups in the overall production of my flock. Watch humidity... my roo has such a big comb that he got frostbite recently and it's more about humidity then the actual temperature ( his wattles got a little bit of frost bite to )... Other than the big single combs getting nipped at by the frost they are very cold tolerant birds. your coop doesn't need to be any warmer than outside necessarily it just needs to be draft free and the humidity should never be higher than it is out side...
Hope that information is useful enjoy your birds! And be careful chickens are very addictive ;)

Last edited:
1f604.png

Hi, Giaduck! I cannot answer your question as I live in the deep south where it is a balmy 52 degrees right now but I did want to welcome you to the thread. Congrats on becoming a Chicken Daddy.
wink.png

Thanks, that info certainly helps. I figured that as long as I keep them out of the wind chill, they should be okay. I was wondering if I should add a heat source, like a low wattage panel heater in their coop, but from what you are saying, maybe not needed. I did mount a fluorescent on a timer on the ceiling of their coop. Transitioning them into their coop from indoors within a week or two. Just hope They don't get too upset with me, kicking them outta the house!
1f633.png

Last edited:
1f604.png

Can't help you much with cold care knowledge. I am in Central Texas and except for an occasional freeze , which they tolerate very well, our winter temps are usually not freezing.I have two Buff Orpingtons that I have had for 4 years. I love them

Last edited:
Giaduck we are in the negative 40s right now...yuck.
Ventilation is very important. You'll want to make sure you are draft free also. Also keep the coop as clean as possible because their droppings hold a lot of moisture and you don't want that. Chickens lay their best the first year. Including winter, but after that prepare for a slow down for molts and short winter days. You can add a few extra hours of light if you'd like. I use a heat lamp for days like this. I know many people don't like them and there are other heat elements out there too. I keep mine no higher than 40 degrees. Some people also swear you need no heat as long as your coop is adequately built. Mine seem to do pretty well in the cold (they free range free choice) but I have to.cover their combs and wattles with bag balm to fight frostbite. (Seems to work good) sorry this started to get pretty lengthy :)

Thanks ya'll. I've decided to purchase a Cozy Legs 100 watt flat panel heater to install in my coop. Energy efficient and won't burn my birds if they touch it. That and the fluorescent tube light on the ceiling of the coop, on a timer, should do the trick, and get them thru the negative temps for the next couple of months. I'm also purchasing a canvas tarp to drape over one side, to block the wind. I'm optimistic.
1f603.png

Back
Top Bottom