Bumble foot got worse

Chimichangas

In the Brooder
Apr 8, 2024
My hen got bumble foot a few days ago, I treated both feet, one of them is cured now, but the other one just got worse. I did everything I was told, remove the pus, salt bath, etc. That helped the other foot out, but one of the feet didn’t get better. Instead it got purple. Asked an old lady I know who owned a ranch in Mexico, she told me to put her in a lemon and garlic bath, did just that and her foot got green the next day. I don’t know what else to do, she just doesn’t seem to be getting better.
IMG_0985.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0986.jpeg
    IMG_0986.jpeg
    533.1 KB · Views: 8
Sorry about the foot looking worse, but the bruising and dark skin look like it may have been wrapped too tightly with a bandage or vet wrap. I would soak the foot daily in warm Epsom salts or Betadine water daily. Apply antibiotic ointment to the foot. Place her on clean towels in a dog crate with food and water. Hopefully some circulation is still good underneath the skin. Take more pictures after the soaks.

I would soak the foot daily. About 10-15 minutes.
I had someone suggested to me an organic salve called "Prid" for bumble foot. Sold at most retail stores. The brand is Hylands. Its made to help draw out the infection. That or the suggested above antibiotic ointment and wrapping so that it stays clean.

My girl had a very large bumble that was on the side of her foot and I thought it was going to get much worse but with the prid and soaking it helped be able to remove the infection. The infection has to come out thats for sure.

Good Luck!

thank you! I will try all of these. Would you recommend me to continue using lemon and garlic baths for her foot? Even though I know it’s painful, lemon is great for disenfecting things.

I would soak the foot daily. About 10-15 minutes.
I had someone suggested to me an organic salve called "Prid" for bumble foot. Sold at most retail stores. The brand is Hylands. Its made to help draw out the infection. That or the suggested above antibiotic ointment and wrapping so that it stays clean.

My girl had a very large bumble that was on the side of her foot and I thought it was going to get much worse but with the prid and soaking it helped be able to remove the infection. The infection has to come out thats for sure.

Good Luck!
Also, which of the two did you buy?

Attachments

• IMG_1017.jpeg
    IMG_1017.jpeg
    241.1 KB · Views: 3
My hen got bumble foot a few days ago, I treated both feet, one of them is cured now, but the other one just got worse. I did everything I was told, remove the pus, salt bath, etc. That helped the other foot out, but one of the feet didn’t get better. Instead it got purple. Asked an old lady I know who owned a ranch in Mexico, she told me to put her in a lemon and garlic bath, did just that and her foot got green the next day. I don’t know what else to do, she just doesn’t seem to be getting better.View attachment 3945414
Don't wrap it back up. I think you might be doing more damage with the lemon and garlic, it almost looks like the foot is getting burned. Just use neosporin.

Don't wrap it back up. I think you might be doing more damage with the lemon and garlic, it almost looks like the foot is getting burned. Just use neosporin.
I don’t own neosporin, would this work the same?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    842.3 KB · Views: 2
Sorry about the foot looking worse, but the bruising and dark skin look like it may have been wrapped too tightly with a bandage or vet wrap. I would soak the foot daily in warm Epsom salts or Betadine water daily. Apply antibiotic ointment to the foot. Place her on clean towels in a dog crate with food and water. Hopefully some circulation is still good underneath the skin. Take more pictures after the soaks.
Here is a picture of after the salt bath, I put the triple antibiotic on her leg and then put her in her own spot. I think she might have already lost two fingers :(

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    323.9 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    357 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom