California-Southern

YUP, we all be krazy on here...
lau.gif
gig.gif
BUT good clean fun...
big_smile.png

Except me I'm the "bad boy"

My suggestion would be to try to visit folks and inspect their set ups and think of what you like and do not like about them. I have been building my own and continue to adapt them as I find and learn improvements. You see what you like after you use them. But if you can not wait that long you can start out with just a little some thing like a clean doghouse and fencing.

For me dog kennels work good and I like my coops small and about 3 1/2 feet off the ground. So my coops are easy for me to reach with bending (my back) is worn out. Also I use a wire floor which works here due to the weather. It is more easy to keep free of poop. JUst once I imported a hen from folks who were moving. They kept their birds in a coop with a floor with heavy bedding and the birds never got a chance to range and take dirt baths. Although I kept her separate we had one of our famous wind storms, the fences got knocked over and that hen went over the fence and infected my entire flock with mites.

Moral of the story, birds need a fenced in run so that they can take dirt baths and get away from heavy bedding etc. Also a coop needs lots of ventilation and last point that I learned. Since birds will roost in the nesting boxes and therefore poop in their nesting boxes, I removed the boxes from hanging off one side of the coop. I now have the nesting boxes on a separate platform to discourage them from staying in the boxes unless they are laying eggs.

Look on Craigs list and check our Helmet Dennis web site, he makes coops.

Back
Top Bottom