California-Southern

Ha! Must be!
We should host the first official chicken parade of Euclid. *starts making chicken leashes*
yOu mean like this? found here: http://acultivatednest.com/2012/12/what-to-get-your-chickens-for-christmas/ OH MY GAWD.... too funny. Acutally chicken diapers have a place to fasten a leash... deb
Omg. Too funny. It's really awesome, actually (crazy chicken person awesome) :clap A parade... Getting the giggles just imagining neighbors and muggles in general seeing a chickens out and about. :D

Omg. Too funny. It's really awesome, actually (crazy chicken person awesome)
clap.gif

A parade... Getting the giggles just imagining neighbors and muggles in general seeing a chickens out and about.
big_smile.png

I think it would be the slowest moving parade ever. You'd have to stop at every grass patch to scratch and peck.

Omg. Too funny. It's really awesome, actually (crazy chicken person awesome)
clap.gif

A parade... Getting the giggles just imagining neighbors and muggles in general seeing a chickens out and about.
big_smile.png
Quote:

But not as slow as a tortoise parade
1f422.png
1f422.png
1f422.png
You guys all gave me a chuckle!
However the parade can turn into a race if you put out mealworms at the end of the walk!
Don't be surprised but tortoises move pretty darn fast! We had Myrtle the Turtle (she was really a Tortoise) and she was a dynamo at moving and we found her at the bottom of the swimming pool a couple times and had to put up a barrier to keep her out!

Yes, someone does have to find out what to do with the baby boy chicks. I don't recall saying anything negatively against that organization, although I have to say, I have no problem with their workings.

Yes, someone does have to find out what to do with the baby boy chicks. I don't recall saying anything negatively against that organization, although I have to say, I have no problem with their workings.
what to do with the boys is a part of chickening

They either get ground up and made into "chicken and rice" dog food, or grow up and get their heads chopped off as adults. So few get to be real roosters

Um... which organization.

Here at my house they do Rooster duty... I like having at least three to watch for predators and keep the hens and each other managed. When they are watching out for the flock they will sacrifice themselves to distract the predator in order for the rest to get away..... Its their nature...

But I have eighteen acres and no neighbors that can complain.

If you order all females you can expect that an equal amount of male chicks will get disposed of... Like Oz says... You can raise em up and take a processing class and have chicken for the freezer. I still havent done this but I fully intend to once I am ready. 100 percent of the people I have spoken to say once you eat home grown chicken will never go back to store bought.

Through the meetups I have met at least three people who have taught processing and or would help me through my first bird... Lots of hand holding I am sure for the first one.

If you do wind up with a roo and dont want do do the processing there are plenty of people who do and will take them.

I think its kind of a waste after you put all the time and effort to raise up something only to sell it off or give it away... Especially now you know what it ate and how healthy it was and the dispatching was done with care and respect....

For what its worth I plan on pretty much living off poultry once I officially retire... because Social Security wont be much to live off of.

deb

Um... which organization.

Here at my house they do Rooster duty... I like having at least three to watch for predators and keep the hens and each other managed. When they are watching out for the flock they will sacrifice themselves to distract the predator in order for the rest to get away..... Its their nature...

But I have eighteen acres and no neighbors that can complain.

If you order all females you can expect that an equal amount of male chicks will get disposed of... Like Oz says... You can raise em up and take a processing class and have chicken for the freezer. I still havent done this but I fully intend to once I am ready. 100 percent of the people I have spoken to say once you eat home grown chicken will never go back to store bought.

Through the meetups I have met at least three people who have taught processing and or would help me through my first bird... Lots of hand holding I am sure for the first one.

If you do wind up with a roo and dont want do do the processing there are plenty of people who do and will take them.

I think its kind of a waste after you put all the time and effort to raise up something only to sell it off or give it away... Especially now you know what it ate and how healthy it was and the dispatching was done with care and respect....

For what its worth I plan on pretty much living off poultry once I officially retire... because Social Security wont be much to live off of.

deb

I agree. While I purchased my first birds as pets, we have since then gotten some "accidental roosters," and decided to raise and process them, rather than handing them back to the breeder to be killed at 5 weeks old. We enjoyed the meat so much that we're now raising a few meat birds, and next time I visit my breeder, I'm going to grab as many extra roosters as she'll let me carry. If I don't eat my own birds, then I'm paying someone else to raise them in much worse conditions, and produce meat that is less healthy for my family.

We took a processing class at Primal Pastures in Temecula, CA. We paid for it and got to keep the chicken at the end (of course). It was well worth the money.

Like you said, Deb, I would be more than happy to share this skill with someone else.

That's really awesome! I just started a free range flock with the intent of using them for meet and eggs. I've never had a home raised healthy chicken before. Thankfully someone at my house knows how to process check chickens so I'll have help at the first.

Back
Top Bottom