California-Southern

Pics
Hey, I'm new to chickens in general. I'm in the San Fernando Valley, in Encino right off the busway.

I saw an Ikea hack for a chicken coop and decided to make my own, but with a $15 off $30 OSH coupon figured it would be cheaper to make my own. So far I've spent $100 on supplies for the run, and I expect to spend another $100 on the coop. I've got the foundation laid out at 6'x11'. The main part of the run will be 8'x6'x6', with a short extension (under the coop) at 3'x6'x2'. I've got the wood cut and painted for the front and back frames, but I need to put them together and measure the exact depth. The real pain is paying for the hardware cloth. I used the $15 coupon at Home Depot (they accept competitor coupons) to get a 4'x25' roll for $48 after tax, but I'm going to need at least one more for the dimensions I'm doing.

I've read all the FAQs and all of Raising Chickens for Dummies, so I'm fine with all the general aspects, but I wanted to ask: What is the best place to purchase pullets around Los Angeles? Or, is there a farm within CA that is regarded highly for shipping pullets? Thanks for any help!

kunai, by pullets, do you mean already laying hens? If not, check out the Red Barn for chicks when the weather gets warmer. I've always gotten chicks from there and in 10 years, only once got a roo.

Would have been nice to have known about the Glendale gathering being that it's close enough for me.

tigerrrrrrrlilly, great pix, and I voted!

treldib, you've got all those snakes?!!!

Quote:
Awesome. I was going to stop in once I finished the coop, but I thought I would only be able to order them, not actually see them in-store. Thanks!

Hey! does anybody around have a Roll-X incubator they want to get rid of? i need parts for mine and dont want to buy them new if i dont have to

Does anyone have any extra/ old rabbit crocks or nests? I need to buy/ trade? for some more, I am running low! Thanks!

61023_p-31641-small-pet-feeder.jpg

61023_982f955ab7047d63e908dc55416937da.jpg

Anyone here going to be selling at Fresno show this weekend I have someone who will pickup and transport for me. I'm looking for a single or two sikie hens.

Ya want some EE roosters
gig.gif
that's all I hatched I do have one BCM pullet that was hatched in Nov and Cuckoo Marans from Dark eggs they are from Dec and Jan and later this spring I'll have some blue coppers just PM me if you're interested.

Cool!!! finally people who live near me! i live in San Luis Obispo county!!! i started a thread called "central coast california" but didnt get alot of responses from people who live near me...oh and by the way does anyone have game breeds up for sale? or will be having some? i want pumpkin hulseys

We are in Lake Forest (city just south of Irvine). I don't think backyard chickens are legal here, but we've got 2... there is no information on the city's web site, and I don't want to call them up to ask, and then have them look into us... Anyone else from this area?

Back
Top Bottom