Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Yes, congrats Al. I would also like to get your perspective on quarrentine after the show. I haven`t shown birds since I was a youngster in 4-H, but I enjoy a poultry show when the oportunity presents. I also take extreme cautions to not bring anything into my yard, after I`ve been to a show. Some bad experiences have led to my paranoia on this matter. Just interrested in your thoughts.........Pop

Quote:
Yes, congrats Al. I would also like to get your perspective on quarrentine after the show. I haven`t shown birds since I was a youngster in 4-H, but I enjoy a poultry show when the oportunity presents. I also take extreme cautions to not bring anything into my yard, after I`ve been to a show. Some bad experiences have led to my paranoia on this matter. Just interrested in your thoughts.........Pop

Thank you all really ............... As far as any quantine goes no I don't quarantine them, they go right back into their original pen's. I do however just change my boots and they get scrubbed realwell before I wear them into the pen's today. Sure it is possible that their is a few birds that could have the sniffles or something but that's not a big deal. What is important to keep in mind is that in order to get into the show all birds must be NPIP certified and tested with a copy of your certificate handy. That's not to say nothing will happen and it never has.................. but I don't get so picky about that stuff like most people do. there is a time to quaratine new birds but bringing them back from the show isn't one of them.

Fred's Hens :

smile.png
smile.png
One of my first flocks, circa 1959

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/69833_flock1960.jpg

Aw the year I was born. I feel so young for a change.​

Quote:
You forgot bra's. (I just became aware of such a thing this past week
lol.png
)

Gee Kassaundra...thanks for that mental image I'll lay awake with tonight.....chicken bras....who knew? And more importantly.....who in the world came up with that off-the-wall idea? Geeesh!

I think the bras are for a medical condition pendulous crop?

Quote:

Thank you all really ............... As far as any quantine goes no I don't quarantine them, they go right back into their original pen's. I do however just change my boots and they get scrubbed realwell before I wear them into the pen's today. Sure it is possible that their is a few birds that could have the sniffles or something but that's not a big deal. What is important to keep in mind is that in order to get into the show all birds must be NPIP certified and tested with a copy of your certificate handy. That's not to say nothing will happen and it never has.................. but I don't get so picky about that stuff like most people do. there is a time to quaratine new birds but bringing them back from the show isn't one of them.

Al congrats first of all! I am glad you did so well & sorry I didn't make it there to see you!

I'm only about a 13 years of keeping chickens but DD does show her chickens & although they do have to be tested just like the larger shows we still do some preventitives after coming home from a show. I spray each bird with Adams flea & tick (for dogs) around the vent, back of the neck & under each wing. They stay in a show box for a couple of hours before going back into the pens they come from. I started that after getting mites from a show. Just my two cents.

Morning Carah....................... I missed not being able to see you and Maddy as well. there is allways next year though. Maddy also had a great show season.

Quote:
Our two main flocks are each kept in a 70 x 25 foot pen attached to the run until mid-day and then free range.

Our roosters eat layer feed with the hens and always have...

Quote:
We are even more blessed... No coons in the lower deserts of AZ I guess there are some in higher elevations or in town near water, but we never see them where we are.

Quote:
Correct. A nutty sounding term but, if one chooses to treat less than healthy chickens, they apparently can be helpful.

BTW, I'm not an OT, but not a newbie either. About 3 years this round, but we had chickens when I was a kid, and I've had 3 or 4 other flocks over the years. Before BYC I thought most everyone put them all in the freezer by 9 or 10 months, at least up north (Illinois.) I didn't even know they could survive a northern winter.

Quote:

Al congrats first of all! I am glad you did so well & sorry I didn't make it there to see you!

I'm only about a 13 years of keeping chickens but DD does show her chickens & although they do have to be tested just like the larger shows we still do some preventitives after coming home from a show. I spray each bird with Adams flea & tick (for dogs) around the vent, back of the neck & under each wing. They stay in a show box for a couple of hours before going back into the pens they come from. I started that after getting mites from a show. Just my two cents.

That`s a good idea, Sooner. I mentioned some bad experiences at shows, but I should clarify. The main problem was when I noticed 4 cages in a row with sick birds in them. This was at the poultry show at the South Florida Fair. Not a big show by Als standards, but probably the largest in So. FL. Pretty sure the birds don`t need a health certification to be there, but chicken people run the show and you would think that sick birds would be banned, or removed. I alerted the attendant of the situation and he seemed indifferent. I was very dissapointed as you can imagine. There were other things over the years, but this one really stood out........Pop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom