Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My BIL comes out to visit on Friday, asked if he was bringing his poop-kickers. He said no, so I informed him to bring an old pair of tennis shoes to roam in the back with the chicken. Will also have to make formal intro between him & Owl, so that Owl knows he is ok and will not be on the defensive. I think in the spring I will paint the OSB that is blocking the two windows in the main coop.

About to go out & rake more leaves that have fallen into the run, I put them into a big pile out in the yard & let the chickens have at it.

The hens have stopped laying in the overturned trash can, and are back to the nest boxes, even the EE who thought it was fun to lay her egg on a shelf & then knock it off is back to laying in the nest.

Told the chickens they better enjoy the temps for the nest few days, cause after New Year, it is going to drop back into the low 40's during the day.

Anyone know if TSC sells White Clover Seed or Alfalfa seeds?

Quote:
Don't know about TSC, but around here the small town feed store is the place to buy seeds like that, in bulk.

Quote:
Don't know about TSC, but around here the small town feed store is the place to buy seeds like that, in bulk.

No.
They sell no seed of any kind.

Around here they sell seed, though it is just a mix. Check the web for your area for TSC. Otherwise check Gurney's.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/plotspike-reg-forage-feast-food-plot-seed-40-lb--4208773

PlotSpike
00ae.png
Forage Feast Food Plot Seed is a combination of small grains, legumes, forage brassicas and clovers. This mix germinates quickly and performs in a wide range of soil conditions. PlotSpike
00ae.png
Forage Feast is proven to attract deer and will yield abundant, nutritious food supply.

•No fillers
•No chemical coatings
•40 lb.
•Limited warranty

http://gurneys.com/white-dutch-clover-grass-seed/p/09552/

Last edited:
I ordered in red clover (5 lbs), scarlet clover(1 lb) and white dutch clover (1 lb), plus some more wildflower mixes for my bees, from a seed farm in Nebraska. They also sell alfalfa and other pasture grass seeds. It was very reasonably priced, and came promptly. (I do not need 40 lbs of anything that isn't eaten straight from the bag, I have 1/3 of an acre.
smile.png

http://stockseed.com/

Gypsi

I won't buy OSB for anything structural. Granted I put coated osb siding on the back of my house when I pulled the vinyl, but it is inside the greenhouse and does have some mfgr paint on it. It will get house paint when I get to it, hopefully before it gets ruined by moisture.

I will re-use the OSB shelving I bought years ago, as I have dry uses for it, but I will use pallet wood before OSB, it is so moisture sensitive. I am a firm believer in paint for porous stuff though.

I moved my 4 americauna pullets in with the big hens this evening. They opted to avoid the coop and go to the big perch in the run. Tomorrow morning, they get wormed. I'll mix the water before I go to bed. Yeah! I get my greenhouse back!

Gypsi

Gypsi Great site! The smallest bag of White Dutch Clover (1 lb for $3.75) is perfect!

Am curious, will have to see what the difference is between regular Alfalfa & Creeping Alfalfa.

Love This Website! http://stockseed.com/

Poor
Lena, my Light Brahma has been practicing for almost 3 weeks now, and has sat in a actual nest box twice, but no actual egg yet.
gig.gif

My other Light Brahma, Clara was ambushed by our roo, Owl twice this evening, but she got away both time.
gig.gif
gig.gif

After sweeping the run of leaves, refilling the feeder, the nest boxes with pine shavings & scraping the roost of poop, I sat on the deck to watch the sun set. Queen Bee, one of my escape artists (BR), sat on my lap, after a minute or so, two of the Buffs came over (can't tell them apart, but my 4 year old can). One of them also jumped on my lap. So we sat there enjoying the colors of the sunset, while I told them about the visitor they will have in a couple day (my BIL). I feel tugging on the back of my hair, and wondered who it was. My youngest tells me, Owl is taking a leaf out of my hair. I then look over & Owl is standing beside us, just watching me talk to the hens. It was just one of those peaceful times of day, I then told everyone that it was time to feed the human children, put the hens down, patted Owl on the back & went in & fed my kids. When I came back out, everyone had put themselves to bed, I wished them a good night, locked them up & went in and played with puppies.

I have been raising Chickens for over 37 years and the simple advice that I would give is this; If you plan for a dozen birds, build housing for 24 or more. The more room your birds have the less problem you will have with smell, bickering and cleaning issues, not to mention your birds will be happier! Happy birds make for happy bird owners.
wink.png

Good luck to you all! May the New Year bring you an abundance of eggs!

Been raising poultry for 45+ years. Gen lic judge APA/ABA. Raised lots of breeds and lots of birds. I have shown birds all over the US. landfowl and waterfowl.

Walt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom