Day 18.....Lockdown

Not the best pic. It is a lavandar Orpington.

Egg two has finally made it free from the egg,
I think the first hatched chick helped this one out, and is eating the egg shell bits.
Second chick looks real messy compared to the first, but I did not watch number one exit her shell, just saw the pip, came home from work and the baby was out.

I do not think the newcomer is gonna make it. It's not as active as the first, and is stuck to a piece of shell by what looks like poo. Not like the first one at all.
Possibly an effect of overall low temp and possibly low humidity?
I will try to get a pic in the morning

Last edited:
Egg two has finally made it free from the egg,
I think the first hatched chick helped this one out, and is eating the egg shell bits.
Second chick looks real messy compared to the first, but I did not watch number one exit her shell, just saw the pip, came home from work and the baby was out.

this chick looks really wet - watch it closely because as that dries it will glue the chick to the floor

I do not think the newcomer is gonna make it. It's not as active as the first, and is stuck to a piece of shell by what looks like poo. Not like the first one at all.
Possibly an effect of overall low temp and possibly low humidity?
I will try to get a pic in the morning
possibly - it looks like there was leftover unabsorbed egg white? is that what the wet is? is there any yolk on the chick?

do you have Gro Gel? or any Sav-A-Chick electrolytes/probiotics? I would give those ASAP to try and save this little one

if not, you can make homemade electrolytes easily out of sugar water. here is how:
http://www.fresh-eggs-daily.com/2012/07/hot-weather-acidosis-and-homemade.html

Wow been reading through this thread and its great. I'm on day 12 of my first ever hatch and just had to remove over half my eggs for not being fertile or no signs of life. Only 6 left but they are looking great (buff Columbian pekins). I really hope its goes well after this!

It ended up glued to the floor in the morning. I got it off, rinsed it under gentle water and a soft tooth brush and really got some results.

Both chicks are in the brooder now, the rest of the eggs quit, I will open them up a bit later to see what happened. I think low temps and low humidity took its toll.

Back
Top Bottom