EE's EGGs - who, where, when, what (let's track who laid what and who hatched from what)

WOW!
Two new additions to the lovely world of colored eggs!
Congrats
yesss.gif

Who our bird is : Wilma

Where they came from : Western Ranchman Feed Store
When they started laying: September 20, 2012 (20 weeks old)
What color eggs they lay:

Mama Hen, I LOVE your nest boxes!!!!!
love.gif

How did you build them???
I have a plastic tote and my girls hate it! Will not go near it. I'd love to have something like yours.
By the way - what breeds do you have? Such a nice, colorful, diverse flock.

Thank you canesisters. Sorry to hear your girls do not like their nest box. Do you have plastic eggs or golf balls in there for them to get the hint? I have a plastic eggs in mine.

Originally the nest boxes were going to be attached to the inside of the coop but after the box was built, it took up too much room. We decided it was best to cut open the north wall and insert it. It was framed like the windows. I was using shavings but they kept kicking it out onto the sand floor so a BYCer suggested using excelsior nesting material. Works great for me...no mess on the floor.

Here it is before painting. Just a rectangular box with dividers for the girls. Hubby thought we need that many but most do not get used.

Installed and framed.

The nesting material. Got it from eggcartons.com

The girls in the boxes are:
Veronica (Barred Rock), Roberta (Sliver Laced Wyandotte) and Wilma (EE)
Sophie (Black Australorp) and Gretchen (Gold Laced Wyandotte)
I have another SLW, several more EE's, Welsummer, Black Sex-Link and a Cuckoo Marans.
I have 14 girls.

Any idea of the dimensions of each box?
I only have 5 girls right now so I think that 2 boxes will be plenty.

Funny you should ask about the fake eggs. I have a couple of plastic eggs - they were NOT impressed. So I started collecting the eggs from the run and putting them in the box. I had 8 in there and still they ignored the box and layed in the run...
I think I'll try changing the bedding. Maybe they just don't like the hay.

Back
Top Bottom