Favorite breeds.... for northern weather, egg laying, temperament?

SeaChick

Songster
12 Years
Apr 25, 2007
Southern Maine
Well we're really getting our hopes up that Olivia's campaign will work and she can have chickens.

I just found out that two feed stores not far away sell interesting-breed chicks!! So it looks like we won't have to order from the internet and get all those extra roos! Cool.

Olivia has a list of breeds she likes (as well as about 30 possible hen names picked out, LOL)... what do you all think about these choices, or maybe suggest others?

Criteria:
1) Must be cold-hardy (Maine) and lay well in winter (we'll have extra light for 14 hrs daylight)
2) Good personalities (pets for 10-yr-old)
3) I prefer prolific layers. We can't have many hens but we want a lot of eggs!
4) Probably better if they don't tend to broodiness, since all we want is eggs to eat and our flock will be small (~4 hens)
5) Will be in an enclosed coop and run, so should be OK with that kind of confinement.
6) Beautiful a plus!
7) As quiet as possible. Are any breeds known for quietness?

RHODE ISLAND RED
SEX LINK / STAR (Are they basically the same?)
BLACK AUSTRALORPS
Maybe Wynadottes? Pretty but do the lay a lot?
Maybe Americaunas? Pretty, pretty eggs, but many eggs??

We've looked at the two breed-selection charts we found on the web, but would love your input, folks!!

Thanks
Stacey and Olivia

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
you have the right idea wanting winter hardy breeds.the black australopes an production reds are heavy layers.an should lay good in your climate.light an dark brahamas will fitt your needs as well.an they lay good to.an not tobe a wett blanket.but the EE hens willstop laying in nov an start again sometime in feb.so id get hens that would lay during winter if you want eggs to eat.

Wyandottes are beautiful, friendly and cold hardy. They lay large brown eggs pretty well and seem to be unbothered by cold weather. I have two in NY and it gets pretty cold. They have rose combs that are less likely to get frostbite. they come in several beautiful varieties. I have silver laced (check out my avatar) and I will soon be getting blue laced red.

Thanks folks

PICCO
Do your Wynadottes go broody often? The "breed choice" charts we looked at said they would. I also read other folks on this board saying that Buff Orps and Barred Rocks are serious brooders.

Of course this is all theoretical to me, not having had chickens before, but it wouold seem that broodiness is not good if the hens are just for pets and eggs... maybe its not such a big deal though?

Stacey

My girls have never gone broody but a few in my friend's flock have. It really depends the the strain. Most wyandottes from commercial hatcheries have been bred partly for production so they should have less of a sitting instinct. The silver laced variety is most common and probably the least likely to go broody. The only breeds to not sit are those from the mediterranean region like the leghorns, anconas, and minorcas. I don''t recommend these breeds beacause of their flighty disposition. They also develop large combs that are susceptible to frostbite. I think wyandottes are a really good choice. I'll give you a list of a few more breeds that would be good for you:

Rhode Islands
Plymouth Rocks (in my experience they don't go broody)
Marans
Brahmas
Easter Eggers
New Hampshires
Black Giants
Australorps

Broody Breeds: Cochins, Silkies

Check out www.feathersite.com they have great pictures of many breeds and links to breeders where you can find more info on specific breeds. I'm not sure about orpingtons, i've never had them.

staceyneil, hands down the Light Brahmas will meet all your needs. They are a wonderful breed to work with, and are very friendly..... The broody hens are great moms

bigzio

My chicks are still babies but I hear Rhode Island Reds are great egg layers, very sweet and winter hardy.

my list of requirements was just like yours. I'm not as far north, but its still cold in winter.
THe breeds I decided on were
Red-star...very prolific layer, has only skipped one day since she started laying last summer, she's friendly & quiet.
Black Australorp-she's beautiful, friendly(loves lap time) a good layer & VERY noisy...but she is my top hen so it may just be her personality
Barred rock-great layer, shy & very pretty
Easter Eggers-great layers of beautiful blue-green eggs. One is a tad skittish but both are very friendly, both are beautiful & a little vocal
Buff orpingtons-great layers, so beautiful & docile, they LOVE to be held. Not too noisy
Silver laced wyandotte-a sorta lazy layer, but she did moult over the winter so I can't hold that against her. She is very beautiful, pretty friendly & just a little noisy.

all of my girls survived near zero temps with no trouble & although there coop was warmer its not heated & we don't add light we had more eggs than we could eat over winter.

hope that helps!!

From the canadian perspective I would vote for the Brahma, then the Wyandotte, then Orpington or RIR. Ameraucana or EE do take the winter off.

Back
Top Bottom