First chick has hatched!

shelbyw

Songster
6 Years
Jul 1, 2015
North Carolina
My Coop
My Coop
My first chick from my chickens has hatched and it looks just like my rooster! :) I think it might have a walnut comb when it gets older, but only time will tell! It also has white tips on its feet, beak, and its wings. It has a white stripe going from its neck down to its bum. I do have a quick question since it is a silkie cross. I heard that it is hard to sex a silkie chick, and I was wondering at what age will I be able to see the chick? Also how long do I wait to feed it? The chick hatched early this morning around 6 am. 4 more to go!

these are from a couple of hours ago. He is dry and fluffy now ;) I left it with my broody.

Last edited:
Cute little chicks
1f600.png
you can offer them then food straight away. But of they dont eat it font panic.
They will still have alot of the yolk inside of them and may not be hungry I have heard people say that you dont have to feed them for 24 hours but I prefer to put chick crumb in the brooder and if there hungry they will find it
1f600.png
. From personal experience you could tell the sex at around 6-8 weeks. But I don't know if its different with silkies (never had any). Post a pic when there 6-8 weeks old any everyone will help you figure out the sex xx

My first chick from my chickens has hatched and it looks just like my rooster! :) I think it might have a walnut comb when it gets older, but only time will tell! It also has white tips on its feet, beak, and its wings. It has a white stripe going from its neck down to its bum. I do have a quick question since it is a silkie cross. I heard that it is hard to sex a silkie chick, and I was wondering at what age will I be able to see the chick? Also how long do I wait to feed it? The chick hatched early this morning around 6 am. 4 more to go!

these are from a couple of hours ago. He is dry and fluffy now ;) I left it with my broody.
congratulations, but be careful opening the breeder you can shrink wrap the other chicks if they have pipped. They can survive 24 to 36 hours easily on the Yoke they just absorbed. It is better not to open the breeder because you risk the others if you have to throw in a hot wet cloth when you do. Good luck

Last edited:
congratulations, but be careful opening the breeder you can shrink wrap the other chicks if they have pipped. They can survive 24 to 36 hours easily on the Yoke they just absorbed. It is better not to open the breeder because you risk the others if you have to throw in a hot wet cloth when you do. Good luck
I kept the chicks under my hen for a few days and they are now separated from her because one got accidentally stepped on and shortly died :/ I have only 2 now, but 2 is better than not having any :) They are getting feathers on their wings and tail already and chick 2 has one foot with 5 toes on it and the other foot has 4 which is pretty cool :) The remaining 2 are very active and eating and drinking

Cute little chicks
1f600.png
you can offer them then food straight away. But of they dont eat it font panic.
They will still have alot of the yolk inside of them and may not be hungry I have heard people say that you dont have to feed them for 24 hours but I prefer to put chick crumb in the brooder and if there hungry they will find it
1f600.png
. From personal experience you could tell the sex at around 6-8 weeks. But I don't know if its different with silkies (never had any). Post a pic when there 6-8 weeks old any everyone will help you figure out the sex xx
Thanks! I heard that silkies are harder to sex because of their feathering..? These 2 are silkie crosses so maybe they won't be as hard to tell ;) I moved them in a brooder since one got stepped on and died shortly after. I have 2 currently :) They are feathering in their wings and tail

I kept the chicks under my hen for a few days and they are now separated from her because one got accidentally stepped on and shortly died :/ I have only 2 now, but 2 is better than not having any :) They are getting feathers on their wings and tail already and chick 2 has one foot with 5 toes on it and the other foot has 4 which is pretty cool :) The remaining 2 are very active and eating and drinking
I am glad they are doing well. I hope they are pullets.

Back
Top Bottom