@featherhead007 and @BeastBaby

I have been thinking. Alex, you need a rooster at some point. BeastBaby has some chicks that will be showing if they are boys or girls very soon. They cannot keep a boy. Distance wise, especially since Alex has trusty Marie to fly with it is I think fairly close. Again, thinking flight here. Maybe, just maybe, the two of you need to have a conversation.
Brilliant! Alex talks about flying here all the time 😉

The chick possibly formerly named Mina should be revealing cockerel feathers soon… maybe in a couple weeks? I’m not sure about the timing of those.
9CDE4F3D-A03D-4220-94BC-156CB6322C5B.jpeg
D75DBF80-CD6F-4C5E-9E3E-F53AC4DD7B85.jpeg
E5CF1F5E-9FAD-4929-98C1-71C6C17AB2CF.jpeg

Brilliant! Alex talks about flying here all the time 😉

The chick possibly formerly named Mina should be revealing cockerel feathers soon… maybe in a couple weeks? I’m not sure about the timing of those. View attachment 3820879View attachment 3820880View attachment 3820882
They are an olive egger- half ameraucana, half black copper marans. Maybe RM could guide us on this- but I anticipate him to have a cool copper cape as a roo. But if it’s a she, she’s definitely staying here to be my dalmatian chicken 😆

Honey the blind chicken

On April 6th, Honey went blind all of a sudden. Before that, she has had water belly for a while. We don't know why Honey is blind. You cannot tell from looking at her eyes.

So Honey has been a house chicken for the past month and she actually seems pretty happy. We don't know how to make her eat on her own, so we have been hand feeding her.

She has a good appetite and we have to constantly feeding her and clean her poop...

Honey is having a particularly good day today.

First she took a bath in a tub :)
View attachment 3820868
View attachment 3820867

Then she sunbathed 🥰
View attachment 3820866
I have a blind 8 yo hen. She went progressively blind. It's amazing how well they get around. My hen, Lucy is the matriarch. She has raised many in my flock and they still treat her with respect. Our standard rooster is her grandson, and he herds her and keeps her with the group.
20240415_153143.jpg

Alex and BeastBaby I was just throwing the idea out there, no pressure or enabling.

Here is my thinking of the situation.
Ideally, it is best for a cockerel to be brought up under a older, established rooster and a flock of older adult hens.

When that cannot happen there are other options to bring up a good rooster and I think Alex is set up for this to happen if he has the heart for it. I say if because he is still mourning Jaffar and it is his right to grieve for however long it takes.

If you do not have a established rooster the next best thing to have is previous experience with roosters. It also helps if you have previously reared one up from a chick. Alex has had several boys over the years, he has experience in spades. He knows what makes a good boy and can avoid mistakes in his upbringing.

Alex has a flock full of adult hens. These girls will be a very important tool. They will literally open up a can of whoop a$$ on him when he hits the the idiot phase. He will, they all do. Younger pullets are at a disadvantage as they tend to not stand up for themselves and allow the randy teenager to run them ragged. Older hens will step in to protect the pullets and themselves. I have witnessed the older hens beat the snot out of a young boy while my boys have stood calmly by watching.

Alex also has time and patience. He is able to be there a good portion of the day. He can observe, step in when needed, and wait. He knows the first time the little snot looses his mind and misbehaves does not mean he is going to be evil. He can let the hens handle the discipline. He can give the boy time to grow up. Time to let that first flush of hormones run its course and greet the mature sensible adult on the other side. Not everyone can do that. I get it, I do. Some are not allowed to have roosters. Some have small children and there is nothing more dangerous then a idiot boy and a young child. If you can though. If you can keep a rooster. If you stay the course through the idiot phase. You will have a protector. You will have a boy who will give his life for his hens. If you raise them from chicks, many you can build a relationship with. They can become friends, pets really. They will seek out time to be with you. Some will want to be handled and become Jaffars, Drumsticks and Branches. Some are content to not be handled but bring their harem of girls to you and go about their duties within arms reach. They trust you enough to let their gaurd down to dust bathe at your feet and fall asleep. They trust you to hold the hens, feed the hens, handle the eggs and chicks if you have them. You trust them and let your guard down and walk freely among them doing all these things knowing your boy will not bat a eye. These are the Mr Ps and Bubba's of the world.

I wholeheartedly believe one thing. Whether you have a Jaffar or a Mr. P. If you are allowed no flock is truly complete or whole without a rooster. They are such a integral part of a flock dynamic. There are flocks here where boys are not allowed. That rooster role is so important that often times a head hen steps up to fill that void. It works, it has to many have no choice. I wonder though, for the hens that step up are we doing a disservice to them in the long run. Is the stress of playing 2 roles, lead hen and rooster of the flock shortening their lives?

Ok, sorry, off my soapbox now. It is just some thoughts I have.

Back
Top Bottom