Hello everyone. I think most of you know I am off around the world at the moment. I picked up Covid in Africa and am grounded in the UK feeling sorry for myself.
This means I can only watch the Princesses over the cameras.
I got this adorable clip of my lady turkey visitor. She is standing right by the Chicken Palace and looks like she wants in. Isn't she cute?!
Do turkeys and chickens get on OK?
I am sure this won't really happen, but just suppose I were to let her in, could she become one of the flock?
In Africa you get a pure type of Covid. Be careful with that. Don’t worry too much. Your chooks are waiting for you to come home

Hello everyone. I think most of you know I am off around the world at the moment. I picked up Covid in Africa and am grounded in the UK feeling sorry for myself.
This means I can only watch the Princesses over the cameras.
I got this adorable clip of my lady turkey visitor. She is standing right by the Chicken Palace and looks like she wants in. Isn't she cute?!
Do turkeys and chickens get on OK?
I am sure this won't really happen, but just suppose I were to let her in, could she become one of the flock?
Wild turkeys fly fairly well. Domesticated can't. Even the heritage ones. That's why there's usually rules and regs about raising turkeys. They're trying to keep the 2 from cross- breeding....(sorry if this seems incoherent, middle of night wake-up).

Hatcheries will ship all poultry chicks together as day Olds. Some have said that turkey chicks are none too bright so raising a chicken chick with them helps because the chicken chick will show the turkey pouts how to drink/where to eat. Then there's the ones that say to keep them separated as the turkey is vulnerable to some diseases the chicken isn't but can be carriers of.

As far as what to eat, it wanna say (but don't remember for certain) that turkey pouts need a higher protein content than chick starter has so should be on a gamebird starter food. The all-flock I have my chickens on is supposed to be good for turkeys too (ones pictured on the bag) so at least 8 weeks on is ok (maybe not great).

People have raised them together before so it's possible she would get along fine. Wild turkeys do usuallyroost in trees at night. So if you did catch her (check NJ Stat regs on Wild turkeys), she could 1. Get along with the girls fine, and 2. Teach them to REALLY fly well.

Wild turkeys fly fairly well. Domesticated can't. Even the heritage ones. That's why there's usually rules and regs about raising turkeys. They're trying to keep the 2 from cross- breeding....(sorry if this seems incoherent, middle of night wake-up).

Hatcheries will ship all poultry chicks together as day Olds. Some have said that turkey chicks are none too bright so raising a chicken chick with them helps because the chicken chick will show the turkey pouts how to drink/where to eat. Then there's the ones that say to keep them separated as the turkey is vulnerable to some diseases the chicken isn't but can be carriers of.

As far as what to eat, it wanna say (but don't remember for certain) that turkey pouts need a higher protein content than chick starter has so should be on a gamebird starter food. The all-flock I have my chickens on is supposed to be good for turkeys too (ones pictured on the bag) so at least 8 weeks on is ok (maybe not great).

People have raised them together before so it's possible she would get along fine. Wild turkeys do usuallyroost in trees at night. So if you did catch her (check NJ Stat regs on Wild turkeys), she could 1. Get along with the girls fine, and 2. Teach them to REALLY fly well.
Yes. Higher protein feed. And yes flying lessons.
I wasn’t thinking of raising poults. More like let this one join the coop gang as she so clearly wants to do.
I think she is lonely.
I would be fine with her coming and going as she wanted to. My guess is she would hang around until a big flock of turkeys came by and then she would probably go off with them.
I am thinking house guest.
She might not be around by the time I return, but it is sweet how she is hanging out by the window. My guess is Bernie was on the other side talking to her!

My mom was a church custodian for several years and I grew up in my teen years working with her cleaning, washing up after receptions or potlucks, and carnivals. People are pigs at these occasions and just surface smear clean after themselves. She had to go afterwards and deep clean after these events, including the ugh! restrooms!

Do your church custodial staff a favor and use a tarp under your BBQ unit to catch grease splashes and really pay attention to really cleaning up and putting utensils/equipt back exactly where they belong. I'm sure your military training is meticulous. You sound super responsible but I get really super sensitive about public use of church facilities and can't resist voicing a comment anyway :).

My small animal vet is on a farm, we chat horses and chickens 😊

Back
Top Bottom