The chicks are 3 weeks old now. I managed to get pictures of 4 out of the 7 before my camera died. Once it charges back up I will try to get pictures of the other 3.

Branchlet 1. Your guess is as good as mine on what the color will eventually be. I am probably wrong but I am thinking some sort of partridge. Poppet is black or silver partridge. Branch has Partridge behind him and twice he threw it when crossed with Chiquita. It is way to early to guess genders, but, if I use size as a clue this one gives pullet vibes.
DSCN3390.JPG
DSCN3391.JPG
DSCN3392.JPG

Branchlet 2. This one is Black, my only black one. Going by size again, tiny so maybe pullet. It also has a bump on its head indicating it will have the best head poof of the group. It should have a topknot similar to Poppets. Please be a pullet, please be a pullet.
DSCN3389.JPG
DSCN3388.JPG

Branchlet 3. Reba. If I had to guess based off size, Reba is actually Barbosa. Biggest of the silkies. Taller, wider, thicker legs. Now, of course this means absolutely nothing but I am leaning towards cockerel. My gut is telling me boy, I have learned to listen to my gut.
DSCN3384.JPG
DSCN3383.JPG
DSCN3382.JPG

And last but definitely not least, Adele. She is a polkie. She is showing absolutely zero traits of her silkie lineage. I was waiting to see if she might be splash but also showing no signs of that either. She is white and is pretending she is all Polish.
DSCN3381.JPG
DSCN3380.JPG
DSCN3379.JPG
DSCN3378.JPG
DSCN3377.JPG
DSCN3376.JPG

The chicks are 3 weeks old now. I managed to get pictures of 4 out of the 7 before my camera died. Once it charges back up I will try to get pictures of the other 3.

Branchlet 1. Your guess is as good as mine on what the color will eventually be. I am probably wrong but I am thinking some sort of partridge. Poppet is black or silver partridge. Branch has Partridge behind him and twice he threw it when crossed with Chiquita. It is way to early to guess genders, but, if I use size as a clue this one gives pullet vibes.
View attachment 3889919View attachment 3889920View attachment 3889921
Branchlet 2. This one is Black, my only black one. Going by size again, tiny so maybe pullet. It also has a bump on its head indicating it will have the best head poof of the group. It should have a topknot similar to Poppets. Please be a pullet, please be a pullet.
View attachment 3889925View attachment 3889926
Branchlet 3. Reba. If I had to guess based off size, Reba is actually Barbosa. Biggest of the silkies. Taller, wider, thicker legs. Now, of course this means absolutely nothing but I am leaning towards cockerel. My gut is telling me boy, I have learned to listen to my gut.
View attachment 3889933View attachment 3889934View attachment 3889935

And last but definitely not least, Adele. She is a polkie. She is showing absolutely zero traits of her silkie lineage. I was waiting to see if she might be splash but also showing no signs of that either. She is white and is pretending she is all Polish.
View attachment 3889939View attachment 3889941View attachment 3889942View attachment 3889943View attachment 3889945View attachment 3889948
Beyond beautiful 😍.

View attachment 3889919View attachment 3889920View attachment 3889921
View attachment 3889925View attachment 3889926
View attachment 3889933View attachment 3889934View attachment 3889935

View attachment 3889939View attachment 3889941View attachment 3889942View attachment 3889943View attachment 3889945View attachment 3889948
Adele’s expression is hilarious. In the first couple of pictures she is definitely giving you the side-eye!
🥰

"Maurice, I can't. I can't move it, move it anymore."

The first thing we need here is rain. At least you are getting some rain because we've barely gotten any.
Sorry to hear that, it rains almost every day. So damp, so muggy and humid. Too much rain.

Well, funny you should mention that. The two smaller leghorns and the two barred rocks are too young yet, but my problem is after the 4th of July FIREWORKS display my neighbor put on, my hens quit laying!!!
They are slowly starting up again, but yesterday I only got three eggs!
View attachment 3889683View attachment 3889684
Gosh that sucks. Fireworks is the number one complaint in my township. As such they now only allowed on Canada Day and Victoria Day. Day of and day before.

It’s tough on livestock, pets and wildlife, not to mention people with PTSD.

Continuing with this whole music and chickens thing. Laying hens get stress when they listen to music. Since Grandma doesn't lay eggs anymore, I assumed it was okay for her to listen. When I learned that chickens prefer classical music, I turned on a 2 hour compilation of classical music from Bach to Vivaldi. She seemed to like it, having the same reaction as with the other music but I also realized Grandma was a tad more interested in the flowers on the screen as she was constantly pecking the screen. I had to tell her those weren't real flowers but of course a chicken doesn't know that.
Has anyone else managed to get their chickens to listen to music? If so, what kind of music? A specific artist or song? I'll continue again soon.
Mine do not appreciate hard rock that’s for sure! Or noisy Newfoundland jigs.

And a new breeding program has begun. Looks like you have started a new business.
Nope!

I do not like selling animals anymore- I had my fill of that when I had horses. It would break my heart to see my babies I raised up sold to someone who then didn’t take care of them. I would see them and they would be skinny wormy and feet need doing.

It will bother me to no end to sell the pullet chicks but I cannot keep them. And I will always wonder how they are. 😞

We are home and settled.
View attachment 3889787
Kiddo claimed the pompom chicken.
Daddy is a softie and bought her TWO baby pompom chickens too
View attachment 3889785
View attachment 3889784
View attachment 3889783
View attachment 3889782
A grey cuckoo one and I think a black/blue one?
View attachment 3889781
24 eggs!!! 2 polish, 8 purebred cochin, and 14 cochinXamericana
We have the broodies moved to the new coop with their decoy eggs. 4 each, and we'll make the swap tonight. We will set the rest in the incubator. I need to sort the humidity first, I think I filled the wrong portion with water and it's too high.
So eggciting! This is going to be a lot of fun! ♥️♥️♥️

Back
Top Bottom