Dakota :barnie:he:barnie:barnie:th!!!
I wanted to eat those noodles and beef In Peace, but oh no!! Dakota smelled what I prepared, left the chicken room and flew on to my kitchen table, going after my dinner. She moved so fast, she had a beak full before I knew it.
I put some on a different plate and we had dinner together (next time I’m closing the door)! Bad Dakota! Bad girl! :confused:
She seemed so determined to get my dinner, you’d think she hasn’t eaten in a few days. She ate all day long today!

She seemed so determined to get my dinner, you’d think she hasn’t eaten in a few days. She ate all day long today!
Yep it as my spaghetti lunch my gang was after! They sure are food motivated, and my Mum makes it worse by feeding them all the time! Pizza today… tomorrow it’s going to be mashed turnip and carrots which they ❤️!

I think that is a good idea - penning off eh area under the ladder and giving her some food and water in there. You can do 2 things to help with the heat issue: make sure to put ice in her water and get a little fan that blows across in front of her (not directly on her) that will keep the air moving, but wont blow on and cool the eggs when she gets up to poop, eat, and drink.

If you don't have electricity there, there are a number of rechargable fans and some battery operated fans that can be used.

Corded fan
Rechargeable, small
rechargeable, small clip
Slightly larger (8" - others are 4") clip fan
Hadn't thought of the fan and wouldn't you know, we literally just bought one for our camping trip we just took! No electric to the coop...but that could work great. Thanks for the idea.

Awake…

03:24hrs, so I slept from 12:35am to now. (sigh), my RLS has me awake as usual. So what’s a gal to do? Well check the barn cams. First up, the back barn cam to see the horses outside, start panning….

WTH!! OMG! Nothing like watching a raccoon climbing up the back barn door to put an instant stop to one’s RLS leg spasms. Instant awake and a scramble for my other phone so I can view the inside alleyway cam…. Nope didn’t come in the alleyway; darn it’s in the loft then.

Quickly turn the babies cam I have set up by the front door, pan the camera around, tilt up the ladder into the loft… ok don’t see. Now quick as a bunny dress, and stagger put to the barn. Quick quick quick!!!! Hurry hurry hurry!!!

I hate going to the barn at night disturbing the animals in their sleep, I grab my winter toque with the headlight and do a quick headcount, 11 grups, 2 broodies, babies hiding I guess, 2 no 3 white ones, were is the 4th? Is that 3 black chicks ? Ok yea… one grey, 3 Tweens. We’re is that 4th white chick , the 3rd one is roosting in a nest box… oh hey is that it? Yes! It’s in with curly snuggled up with her and her babies, brave chick.

Ok so all chooks accounted for, I close the outside door to the hen house - I will need to double secure things today - between rats, mice and coons I am going bonkers!

Ok well as secure as I can get it right now. Check the horses - all ok. Head back to bed - 5:30 will be here soon enough.

EDIT - but will the RLS let me sleep ??
2EDA1D27-8D3C-4A3C-B487-55D27C0BA433.png

Awake…

03:24hrs, so I slept from 12:35am to now. (sigh), my RLS has me awake as usual. So what’s a gal to do? Well check the barn cams. First up, the back barn cam to see the horses outside, start panning….

WTH!! OMG! Nothing like watching a raccoon climbing up the back barn door to put an instant stop to one’s RLS leg spasms. Instant awake and a scramble for my other phone so I can view the inside alleyway cam…. Nope didn’t come in the alleyway; darn it’s in the loft then.

Quickly turn the babies cam I have set up by the front door, pan the camera around, tilt up the ladder into the loft… ok don’t see. Now quick as a bunny dress, and stagger put to the barn. Quick quick quick!!!! Hurry hurry hurry!!!

I hate going to the barn at night disturbing the animals in their sleep, I grab my winter toque with the headlight and do a quick headcount, 11 grups, 2 broodies, babies hiding I guess, 2 no 3 white ones, were is the 4th? Is that 3 black chicks ? Ok yea… one grey, 3 Tweens. We’re is that 4th white chick , the 3rd one is roosting in a nest box… oh hey is that it? Yes! It’s in with curly snuggled up with her and her babies, brave chick.

Ok so all chooks accounted for, I close the outside door to the hen house - I will need to double secure things today - between rats, mice and coons I am going bonkers!

Ok well as secure as I can get it right now. Check the horses - all ok. Head back to bed - 5:30 will be here soon enough.

View attachment 3549150
My goodness, it's relentless at your place

Not to bad really as long as I am not walking up steps or up a hill. I can’t walk up a step with that leg, I have to use the other leg to step up, and tonight when I was hauling Misty off the door using the step ladder I aboit fell off it when I stepped down the steps with the wrong leg. My bad leg gave out! Misty had a wild ride down hahaha.

I have to keep the bad side straight and not try to step up with my knee bent and straighten the leg, my hip just gives way. Which is what happen stepping down the ladder, my bad leg knee bent and the hip gave out! Poor Misty!

And the brat flew back up on the door while I was chasing the little monkeys around and I had to crawl back up to get her!

Chiiickeeens !
Oh Kelly. I hate knowing you're in such pain :hugs:hugs❤️

Awake…

View attachment 3549150
That was scary. I could feel your fear. One benefit to living where I do is I have a slightly fewer variety of predators to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom