Mornin!
My dog has stopped sniffing right at the hardware mesh. I think Ash pecked his nose. She has no fear of him.
Here are Samara, Ash and Morinth yesterday checking out the potted plant. I forgot to bring my herbs in when it snowed so I'm just putting the pots in the coop and letting the birds have fun.
View attachment 3676149
Ladies are all getting pink to their combs, which is exciting.
Mine love digging in my potted plants, so far I have lost tomato plants, petunias, and my empress palm. For some Reason they loved the fronds on the palm!

My 6 pullets have still not started laying they are now 30 and 28 weeks, my Sophia chicks are 18 weeks I think..? At this rate I don’t expect them to start till Spring now, what with winter coming on.

Oh well what can ya do??

I believe you should get more. I've been keeping that to myself but if something would happen to 1 of yours you would have a lone chicken. They are social animals and do not do well when alone.
I have had to find chickens on short notice because of a loss. It can be very difficult. It can work out as Patsy and Lilly were emergency replacements. I wanted another leghorn but all I could find were these porch chickens. It turned out great but it was rough there for a while. I will never have less than three again.

I find 4 optimal because mine like to pair off. It's also easier to integrate 2 than a lone hen.
@Marie2020

I agree - you need to get 2 or 3 chicks if you can find them (sexed pullets), or if not then a couple ready to lay pullets. Your ladies can show them the ropes. And I agree with Bob you need at least 2 so that they can be introduced with your ladies and have a friend.

Last edited:
Agreed, try it and let us know how it works, trim back the feathers though.

Also try Uno with her, as long as they both aren’t stressed it should be good.

Have you given any thoughts to rehoming the boys?
I do know someone who says they know someone who will take roosters. Hate it...because they're just barnyard mixes and they'll likely be eaten...but I'm just going to tell myself they'll be living on a farm.

My husband could cull them, but I'm iffy as to whether I'd be able to process them, much less eat them. He's sure I couldn't. He may be right.

Well Marty just laid a brittle shelled egg that broke under her, she was trying yesterday to lay an egg looking all uncomfortable.

The yolk hadn’t broke so when I lifted her off I could see a lovely bullseye germinal spot.

So what do you all think? Should I just throw all the four eggs I have from her stockpiled this past week? and Penelope’s egg under Henny?

Do you all think she could handle curly and Fluffy’s also? That’s a lot of eggs for a wee silkie.

Marty’s four eggs and Penelope’s egg
View attachment 3676126

Curly and Fluffy’s next to Penelope’s
View attachment 3676127

I don’t think she can handle 7 eggs personally…
I would give her 6. That one Marty egg that is in the bottom of the 2nd picture I would not set. I do not see anything wrong with it per say, but if you need to leave one out that is the one I would choose.

So what do you all think? Should I just throw all the four eggs I have from her stockpiled this past week? and Penelope’s egg under Henny?

Do you all think she could handle curly and Fluffy’s also? That’s a lot of eggs for a wee silkie.

I would just her four eggs. Easier for her to cover and the more eggs she hatches, the more cockerels to deal with.

I think that you could easily incorporate one cockerel into your flock, but what if you end up with three or four? That's not going to be pleasant for the ladies or Mr P.

Just my two cents since you asked.

A few more pictures I took yesterday. The young ones are growing up and looking like laidies now. I am glad I caved and got grandma 2 barred rocks. They are not as friendly as my childhood Dominiques but they are friendly enough. It is also comforting to see stripes in my flock, they bring back many happy memories.
DSCN2498.JPG
DSCN2499.JPG
DSCN2501.JPG

The speckled girls get prettier every time I look at them, those spots are to die for.
DSCN2503.JPG
DSCN2504.JPG
DSCN2509.JPG
DSCN2514.JPG

Then we have Owly, my sweet loveable Owly. She is turning into such a pretty bird.
DSCN2505.JPG
DSCN2506.JPG
DSCN2508.JPG
DSCN2511.JPG
DSCN2512.JPG

One more from my favorite pair. Me and Branch are both smitten by this little fluffy princess.
DSCN2481.JPG

Well Marty just laid a brittle shelled egg that broke under her, she was trying yesterday to lay an egg looking all uncomfortable.

The yolk hadn’t broke so when I lifted her off I could see a lovely bullseye germinal spot.

View attachment 3676126

Curly and Fluffy’s next to Penelope’s
View attachment 3676127

I don’t think she can handle 7 eggs personally…
2 Marty, Curly, Fluffy, and Penelope

I do know someone who says they know someone who will take roosters. Hate it...because they're just barnyard mixes and they'll likely be eaten...but I'm just going to tell myself they'll be living on a farm.

My husband could cull them, but I'm iffy as to whether I'd be able to process them, much less eat them. He's sure I couldn't. He may be right.
Yea that’s my issue - I can’t eat them.

Weekly Synopsis
October 28 - Nov 4
Previous weeks link: Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'

BY Bob:
Twofers: Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Pumpkin Time with Eve!!! She is getting so BIG ❤️- Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
In memory of dear Elphie - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Pecking order update at FBA: Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
An anniversary of some of the flock, its good to remember these beautiful girls-Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Fluffy Butt Friday and Glynda trying out a new dance move! - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'

Ponypoor:
Renovations video- Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Beautiful tax photos - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Pony Sunday-Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Mugs!!!: Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Twofer Tuesday- Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Thirtday - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Caturday-Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'

ManueB:
Flock update: Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'

Royal Chick:
Unhappy mug but she is still stunning: Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Babs showing off her fancy feathers:
Thirsty Thursday photo-Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Beautiful photo of Tassels-Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Tassels laid her first egg 😁- Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'

Notabtail:
FBF pics-Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Mugs!!- Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Hilarious photos- Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'

Marie2020:
Caturday ❤️: Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Flock pics: Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
The girls out and about: Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Heading to bed - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'

Lexicon:
Cesario update: Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'

Fuentemoon:
Sunny day but still chilly: Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'

Featherhead:
Flock pic! - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Out and about- Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Pretty chickens out pecking around- Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Thirstday photo-Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'

SimpleJenn:
Roosting pics- Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Mugs and beautiful fall photos: Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Beautiful snowy pictures- Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Roosting photos-Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Fluffy Butt Friday!! - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Eggs soon?? - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'

Rural Mouse:
beautiful storm photos- Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Up on the roosts - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Gorgeous snow chicken photos - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Fluffy Butt Friday- Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'

Desertvalleychickens:
Beautiful tax photos - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'

RebeccaBoyd:
Mugs Monday photos-Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Update on the flock-Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Fluffy Butts!! - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
More gorgeous pictures- Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'

Rural Mouse:
Flock update and some lovely photos - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'

ChicoryBlue: Paver/run update- Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
The spuds 🥔- Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Beautiful flock photos: Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Popcorn and the spuds: Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'

TX Chick Noob:
Flock update and some great photos - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'

ValarieF:
A brief but welcome update- Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Lightm:

Fluffy Butts with a warning ⚠️- Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'

Pastel the Rooster:
We all wish her luck at her horse competition and love the picture of crystal - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'

Back
Top Bottom