I'm concerned, because he is for the most part a 98% indoor cat so it's hard to imagine where he got this from, if it is a virus. Never had something this noticeable before.
Maybe try 1/4 benadryl if you can get him to take it, might help out. Our vet always recommended it for our kitties.
@Ponypoor
We moved the run to be in a better spot. I wouldn't be able to use nest boxes where it was. Now I'll be losing my external cleanout door but there's one inside the coop I can use instead. No chicken math happened today, there were no polish chicks. While the silkies in the bantam bin at the farm store were tempting, we need to get our run finished and all that taken care of. When we do go for chicks, I want them to be broody raised so I don't have to do all the fiddly baby stuff with them again haha.

Caturday - Big Boy is under the weather. I'm keeping a close watch, this is day five of respiratory symptoms - sneezing & coughing, a little clear eye discharge, definite nose discharge. Very unusual for him. He seemed slightly better yesterday evening, scratching quite vigorously on a board and briefly looking outside, and his voice seemed clearer, but if he isn't definitely improving by Monday I'll call the vet. No blood in his nasal discharge. Every time I try to check his lungs with a stethoscope (of the blood pressure cuff we have) he starts purring.
Here he is just after some sneezing
View attachment 3813740
And back to sleeping
View attachment 3813744
I wouldn’t try and give him anything - cats are unique in how they metabolize so unless you are sure something is safe for cats it is good to assume it isn’t!
According to a vet friend of mine, most cat respiratory illness is herpes virus that they carry with them for life and mostly remain without symptoms, but sometimes get a flare up.

Maybe try 1/4 benadryl if you can get him to take it, might help out. Our vet always recommended it for our kitties.
@Ponypoor
We moved the run to be in a better spot. I wouldn't be able to use nest boxes where it was. Now I'll be losing my external cleanout door but there's one inside the coop I can use instead. No chicken math happened today, there were no polish chicks. While the silkies in the bantam bin at the farm store were tempting, we need to get our run finished and all that taken care of. When we do go for chicks, I want them to be broody raised so I don't have to do all the fiddly baby stuff with them again haha.
I have done both ways - broody way is good if your broody is a higher ranking hen. If not then the fighting can be scary if a baby gets in the way.

When I raise them I control when they get out and about and who can interact with them, usually by 2 weeks old they can run for cover! and by 3 weeks I have had chicks integrated fully.

The ones I have right now wont be integrating any time soon - it's just too darn cold still! While it's going to mild tomorrow and Monday after that cool again, and rain rain rain - sick of rain and cold weather.

Weather Whining Tax
Missy says 'just having a snack then I am going back to sleep'
DSCN0233.JPG

I’m thinking that I should stay off of BYC for a short while. I really appreciate all the support from all of you. It’s just been so hard for me to lose Sir Jaffar, any mention of him makes me break down and cry. I’m still trying to relay the message to my bird friends that they have lost their rooster but still have me (for whatever it’s worth) but I thank you all so very much for your support and prayers.
I have done this myself. Take some time and grieve. :hugs :hugs :hugs

Oh if you were closer I would send you Bert when Mr P has him trained up. He isn’t Sir Jaffar, but seems the ladies are liking him like his Dada.

Another Roo will come along, as someone else stated, it won’t be Sir Jaffar, but will be a good Roo none the less. You have a lot to offer our feathered friends.
I'm really glad to hear that Bert is learning well.

Every night it is the same thing. Edge of dark go out and call for Poppet to follow me to the coop for bed. Every night she comes and then stops just outside of the coop. In the end I have to scoop her up and carry her to bed. I am not complaining, I will not turn down chicken snuggles.
View attachment 3812925
How wonderful for you. Snuggles every night. 💖

Sir Jaffar will be buried on a gravesite of my choosing. Under a tree for the summer heat and protection from the rain in the fall and winter. On church grounds, where all knights of the realm should be buried. :bow
Such a wonderful tribute to him. :love :love

Back
Top Bottom