8/31 - 9/7 This week's Fluffy Butt Acres and Friends!

Last week's synopsis (thanks to @RoyalChick ): https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...es-stories-of-our-flock.1286630/post-27995173

First, a big Happy Birthday to @RebeccaBoyd and @Lilion
View attachment 3938271
Picture credit to Bob at this post.

We are also happy to hear as Bob updated us on Monday that nobody else has shown respiratory symptoms.

-- @Grandma The Chicken
-- @SimpleJenn
-- @Ponypoor
-- @Lilion
-- @rural mouse
-- @RoyalChick
-- @BY Bob
-- @fuentemoon
-- @RebeccaBoyd
-- @notabitail
-- @Sally PB
-- @featherhead007
-- @Logar
-- @ManueB
-- @Sylvester017
-- @Marie2020
Thanks light! 👍😉😊

YAY !!! We received SimpleJenn's Silkie egg basket yesterday w/a sweet note & a surprise Dominique craft hen which tickled DH cuz our Dom Dana is "his" hen. TY Jenn :love

Permission from Jenn to show pics. DH is not the best photographer but better than me w/my broken arm:
View attachment 3938473View attachment 3938474

Jenn w/ just simple flicks of artistic straight lines created this image of a Silkie at the bottom of her note. A real flair for creativity!
View attachment 3938475
That is so wonderful how marvellous ♥️ And yes that drawing is amazing!

Not sure on this one. @Ponypoor, @BY Bob thoughts?
Have never used before.

For the horses though I use an over the counter hydrocortisone cream for sweet-itch (allergic reaction to bug bites), and other insect bites, and itchy conditions on bare skin areas.

Thankfully the barn is pretty much screened in on doors and windows.

Mosquito season is about to end soon here now that the cold weather is arriving.

Our So Calif climate is moderate so daytime freezing temps don't occur at my elevation. But we have had 2 to 3 nights in a row per year where the night temps went enough below freezing to injure the comb of our white Leghorn years ago. Only the tippy tips of the comb got a couple frostbite scars but no bearded/crested birds were hurt in the frost (Breda, Silkies, Ameraucana).

BYC suggestions were to vaseline the leghorn combs which we did but that stained her white head feathers cuz during the day dirt clung to the residue & stained the feathers dirty brown till the next moult. I love Leghorns but not those enormous floppy easily injured combs/wattles :(

Now we have neither white birds nor comb/wattle birds in the flock to worry over. I heartache 💔 too easily in my old age :old
The key to preventing frost bite is to keep all bare skin dry and out of drafts. Very hard to do.

My one horse got her ears wet and lost the tips to frost bite. Luckily so far I have not had any issues with the chooks. They stay inside the barn all winter though with an occasional outing to mount poopmore if it isn’t too cold or windy.

It’s amazing but bugs are alive and well on mount poopmore - it’s always warm there!

8DC3807E-5DF2-4A97-BF78-7CBA49F31121.jpeg
BA01D59E-C461-4168-B7D7-CFBB81F9C21E.jpeg
46BBAED7-DB54-4F3E-90B4-8388609B555E.jpeg

I loved the old turn of the century 1900's when my grandparents were teenage immigrants thru Ellis Island & started farming here where one generation to the next took over farming business & old folks could live on the farm in one big old house w/the next generation. Those simple days are long gone. My mom was born in the horse & buckboard days & 98 yrs later died in the astronaut & jet age of satellites & Moon explorations!
My little church has practiced old time religion. Songs, scriptures, and old religious traditions. But not so old that I would not be comfortable there. Only thing that I don’t like, that they don’t allow me to bring my chickens. Some churches have allowed them.

I loved the old turn of the century 1900's when my grandparents were teenage immigrants thru Ellis Island & started farming here where one generation to the next took over farming business & old folks could live on the farm in one big old house w/the next generation. Those simple days are long gone. My mom was born in the horse & buckboard days & 98 yrs later died in the astronaut & jet age of satellites & Moon explorations!
Remember, I’m a big city guy. I came to the country to forget my past, reenergize my life and with the help of friends, human or feathered, live out my dreams of peace tranquility in my home.
I realize that can never happen. All those lives whose my career had changed are now coming out of prison 5 year terms to 20 year terms. I still keep my guns clean and loaded.

Already having any issue telling her apart from Little Mouse - who isn’t that much smaller than her now.

When the stand next to one another I can see the difference in colour but it very close!
I can tell an EE right away. Soon as I walk out the front door, two of them are right in my face (where’s my treats daddy?)

It likely won’t hurt to give some Tylenol or aspirin to help with feeling crappy. Same as you would for a cold or flu. If you feel better you would be more likley to eat and drink properly.
If I felt better, do you think that I could start laying eggs again too? :th

Back
Top Bottom