1000002857.jpg

Poor little princess was chilly last night even though it was muggy, so I put her inside the coop.
She looks thin here but she's heavy and eating like a horse

Friends I am stepping away from BYC for a few days.

I am so careful with my chickens. I watch where I step as they are always underfoot especially the silkies.

I went with dad to the store last night and was late getting home. Mom already fed the horses their grain and filled up the water. She did not give hay because a bale needed pulled down from the top. I went out to do it. I did not turn on the barn light and only took a head lamp with me.

I was not watching where I was going and I really was not looking. I stepped on Bunny. She was in front of the hay pile. I assume broody, but she had shown no signs of going broody. She did not growl or shriek at me when I got close like she normally would. She was also partially covered with loose hay. Bunny's leg is irreparably broken at the joint. I am sick over this. I've killed my hen. I cannot fix this. No amount of cage rest or splinting will allow it to heal is a somewhat useable fashion.

Bunny just turned 4 last month. She was one of the first chicks Holly hatched. Holly let me interact with them from the moment she hatched. Bunny was the house chicken. She was the one who grandma allowed to lay on the couch and she was the one who hatched on the couch. Bunny had many years left and because of me. Because of my moment of carelessness those have been taken away. I have no one to blame but myself.

I am so sorry Bunny. You deserved better.
View attachment 3948823
Oh Rebecca my heart cries out for you.
You are a wonderful chicken tender. I look up to you and how you manage your flock. Accidents happen.
It is natural that you blame yourself, but don’t. Please don’t.
Mourn and heal and remember the wonderful life you gave her.
❤️

Please do not blame yourself for this. Accidents, though sometimes horrible happen, and everyone on here knows that you are cautious, loving, and protective over all of your animals, and also over those that don't belong to you. You have taken in roosters and hens that needed love and safety, even though it took you time and grief to catch them. You would never intentionally harm any animal, and they all know that. I know how you feel. I have had 2 birds taken right under my nose, and a prolapsed hen I couldn't fix, and a pullet that just dropped dead. No other words describe it than it sucks. You try so hard to keep animals safe, and then some hole in a fence you meant to fix, or another of your pets, or something they ate takes them out. It feels like your fault and it's absolutely devasting. The important thing to remember is that you are always doing your best. Anyone can see that. Give yourself grace, and throw extra love into your animals. They love you. Animals have a way of knowing when you are trying to help, even when it hurts them. Bunny knew you loved her. I will be praying for you. I hope your time away is helpful to you and you get some closure. :hugs
Yes. This ^ :goodpost:

Friends I am stepping away from BYC for a few days.

I am so careful with my chickens. I watch where I step as they are always underfoot especially the silkies.

I went with dad to the store last night and was late getting home. Mom already fed the horses their grain and filled up the water. She did not give hay because a bale needed pulled down from the top. I went out to do it. I did not turn on the barn light and only took a head lamp with me.

I was not watching where I was going and I really was not looking. I stepped on Bunny. She was in front of the hay pile. I assume broody, but she had shown no signs of going broody. She did not growl or shriek at me when I got close like she normally would. She was also partially covered with loose hay. Bunny's leg is irreparably broken at the joint. I am sick over this. I've killed my hen. I cannot fix this. No amount of cage rest or splinting will allow it to heal is a somewhat useable fashion.

Bunny just turned 4 last month. She was one of the first chicks Holly hatched. Holly let me interact with them from the moment she hatched. Bunny was the house chicken. She was the one who grandma allowed to lay on the couch and she was the one who hatched on the couch. Bunny had many years left and because of me. Because of my moment of carelessness those have been taken away. I have no one to blame but myself.

I am so sorry Bunny. You deserved better.
View attachment 3948823
This is just heartbreaking. Bunny looks like a very sweet chicken. Remember to not always take the blame on yourself. As others have said, accidents happen. You didn't mean to step on Bunny. You're always very gentle with any animal and that's one of the reasons why I like you. Blaming yourself too much can lead to isolation and helplessness, not allowing you to grow or change. It's not easy to move on, but this takes time. Hopefully you'll heal. Remember the good memories and you have pictures of Bunny to look at. :hugs:hugs:hugs

Coming home from work last night, had a MASSIVE porcupine in the other lane....turned and sauntered back into my lane just as I got close enough to figure out what it was....brake, swerve... miss him....stay on the road.... Haven't seen one that big since just after high school when one walked out from under the deck...while I was standing on the deck directly above it.

What a way to start a week's vacation while my oldest is home on leave.

Meanwhile, Sherlock decided yesterday to test boundaries again and took off for the neighbor's place to sniff around the new storage units....then on an afternoon walk, went to explore the other neighbor's cows again. He's also eyeing the chickens like it's time to try chasing them again (been a couple of months since he's tried it). Teenage dogs....teenage kids....teenage chickens....all have to test boundaries, some more so/more strongly than others.

Coming home from work last night, had a MASSIVE porcupine in the other lane....turned and sauntered back into my lane just as I got close enough to figure out what it was....brake, swerve... miss him....stay on the road.... Haven't seen one that big since just after high school when one walked out from under the deck...while I was standing on the deck directly above it.

What a way to start a week's vacation while my oldest is home on leave.

Meanwhile, Sherlock decided yesterday to test boundaries again and took off for the neighbor's place to sniff around the new storage units....then on an afternoon walk, went to explore the other neighbor's cows again. He's also eyeing the chickens like it's time to try chasing them again (been a couple of months since he's tried it). Teenage dogs....teenage kids....teenage chickens....all have to test boundaries, some more so/more strongly than others.
Wow that porcupine was lucky! They are like sitting ducks, and move so slow, we have a lot of porcupine mortality here with traffic.

Pony sunday

BFTP
Barn swallows from June 2023

And miss my barn swallows but next May they will be back again. Today is the first full day of Autumn.
91F75EBF-B192-4BE7-B6F2-6A2DD6474781.jpeg

The Autumn Equinox just happened about 30 minutes ago! Happy autumn to everyone in the northern hemisphere and happy spring to you southern hemispherers! 😆

I was going to wait another week before letting my girls free range but yesterday evening I decided, eh, what the heck? They were out for about an hour and put themselves back in the coop when it started getting dark! Well... For the most part. Gytha was stubborn and waited too long so I had to herd her LOL

So this morning I let them back out again and they're loving it!

1000030545.jpg

1000030550.jpg

1000030552.jpg

1000030553.jpg

Back
Top Bottom