Eeeeeeeee today is the day!
We decided on Nocturne (nox) for the black hen. Nyx and Nox, both names for a night goddess.
20240926_181117.jpg
Nyx
FB_IMG_1725929992158.jpg
Nocturne (Nox)
My mother in law is also excited to get Cookie and Cream, she's never had chickens before and I'll be doing the work for her so she can just enjoy the fun bits haha. Dad-in-law wants to get a small coop in town but I don't think they'd have good luck, right beside a school and there are lots of raccoons in the town they live in.
FB_IMG_1725929988789.jpg
Cookie
FB_IMG_1725929997406.jpg
Cream
Hubby says we can just get hatching eggs a few times a year to raise meat birds, that way we can let them be broody-raised. It is SO much easier having a mama hen.

Look up how to grow sweet potatoes in Michigan. It's kind of a crap shoot. They like long hot seasons and loose, well drained soil.

After digging, they need to be "cured" in a warm, humid environment. To achieve that, I had to put them in large plastic bags and tuck the bags into an electric blanket spread out on the dining room table for several days. Some molded, some cured. They didn't store well in my basement, however.

Sweet potatoes are not related to potatoes at all. They're a member of the morning glory family. The leaves are edible. I tried one raw and it felt "fuzzy" and stuck to my tongue. Maybe they'd be good sautéed?
Oh now I remember!

Yes we discussed that last year. Wasn’t it? One day I will try growing them here on the south side of the barn where it’s lovely and warm. Away from the chickens hahaha - I was going to put in some stuff at the barn but I decided it was too much work keeping the chooks out of it.

Clyde is such a brat! He is all rooster nowadays
060F1303-106B-42C1-8B69-DB1B371AB991.jpeg

Reassurance please.
I don’t know anything about snakes. Just met this beauty in the chicken run. The chickens are going out of their way to avoid it and it was aggressively lunging at me when I walked past.
I will leave it be unless it might be dangerous.
Any insight?
IMG_7787.jpeg

The only one of us safely out of its reach is of course Tassels. Still broody, after all this time. Still broody …
IMG_7782.jpeg

Reassurance please.
I don’t know anything about snakes. Just met this beauty in the chicken run. The chickens are going out of their way to avoid it and it was aggressively lunging at me when I walked past.
Any insight?
View attachment 3956312

The only one of us safely out of its reach is of course Tassels. Still broody, after all this time. Still broody …
View attachment 3956313
I believe if the head is diamond or triangle looking it is venomous.

Reassurance please.
Any insight?
View attachment 3956312

View attachment 3956313
I don't think it has venom pouches, but I'm asking a friend who breeds boas (loves snakes)

Don’t all snakes have sort of diamond shaped heads?!
Sort of. Venomous ones have a wider spot behind the jaws where the Venomous pouches sit. I think it's too smooth for that, but like I said, I'm asking a friend who has multiple snakes. When I hear back, I'll pass the info.

Edit: said friend is probably at work, so will be a couple of hours at least.

Back
Top Bottom