Yesterday was a day let me tell you. My mom is livid about a dog and I will go into that in another post. I do not want to scare anyone though as he did not chase or harm any chickens or anything. This is a neglect and abuse case involving the neighbor at the end of the street's Great Pyrenees. You want to tick off my mom, starve a animal.

Anyway, I introduced you all to a few of the new kittens yesterday that another neighbors cat had. Last night my brother went out to his car to hear a kitten screaming. 1 of them had been separated from its mother and siblings. He looked around and could not find them and then noticed it's eye. It was completely covered over with puss and it could not open it. My brother deep down below the sarcastic side he has is a softie.

This is the current situation....
DSCN3918.JPG
DSCN3919.JPG

He and his girlfriend cleaned up the eye. He is picking up antibiotics after work for it. When he gets home he is also worming it and the rest of the litter if he can find them as this one is full of worms. We are not keeping it, we still have the 4 hooligans that are 5 months old now. It is a boy so he and his girlfriend are going to put the word out to find it a home.

Yesterday afternoon Mom noticed she was hearing a dog bark. At first she assumed it was CeeCee. The barking got more constant, louder and panicked. At this point she knows it is not CeeCee as she saw her out the window doing her passed out yoga dog pose on top of the sawdust. She came and got me up from my nap and told me to help her find this dog. I'm confused and going what dog and my mind immediately went to crap something got after the chickens. I go out and hear a dog barking but the first thing I do is circle around the side of the house looking and doing a head count on my chickens. Everyone is accounted for and totally relaxed so I spot her by the Mimosa tree staring at the hillside. I then understand the problem. I see a Great Pyrenees dragging a leash tangled up in a tree on the hillside. Tangled was not the word for it, in his panic to get loose he had about a foot left and was choking himself trying to get loose. I told mom who I thought it belonged to as they are the only ones I know who have a Pyrenees and offered to go get them to help. She declined and told me to go get her pocket knife and she would cut him loose. It took some time but she got him cut loose and used one of the horses lead ropes to walk him up into the yard. She is livid at this point and when I saw him I understood why. He was horribly matted but that is the least of his problems. She told me to feel him. Underneath the fur he is skin and bones. CeeCee easily weighs more then he does and he is 3 years old so should be done growing. His collar was a makeshift one using a metal tie out cable and it was tight. She took pictures and video's on her phone, lots of them. She cut loose the wire collar and then walked him up the road to see if he belonged to our neighbor, which he did. She went by herself and came home 45 minutes later after a blow-up argument with them.

She actually scared the guy when he saw her walking him home. He is afraid of the dog as he has bit everyone in their household and he could not understand that he had not ate her up or even offered to. She informed them scared of him or not it was no excuse to starve him. If they were afraid of him they needed to get rid of him and I guess told them she was calling the animal shelter today.

Last night she sat at the table and cried for a hour while talking to dad. She is tempted to take him herself. Hearing he bites worries her though. Even skin and bones this is no little dog we are dealing with. He is a good 6 inches taller then CeeCee and you all know she is a big girl. I have reservations about him but told her I would support whatever she decides to do. Deep down, I do not want him and I could never trust him with a bite history. I am all for calling the animal shelter though. I fear if the shelter does nothing, which they tend to do sadly, she will not sit back and do nothing. I want a LGD, just not this one.

She is going through a molt right now........
Yes her ‘14 week’ moult. But I mean her 1st big adult moult. That is when Buttercup really popped her spots.

And now she is in a heavy moult again - I bet she goes even more grey mottled spots.

It’s the Azur I am waiting on - I need them to get new tail feathers (which have been all scraggly since I bought them) and more spots and to stop
laying eggs, poor Flopsy laid a soft egg last night 😢

Yesterday afternoon Mom noticed she was hearing a dog bark. At first she assumed it was CeeCee. The barking got more constant, louder and panicked. At this point she knows it is not CeeCee as she saw her out the window doing her passed out yoga dog pose on top of the sawdust. She came and got me up from my nap and told me to help her find this dog. I'm confused and going what dog and my mind immediately went to crap something got after the chickens. I go out and hear a dog barking but the first thing I do is circle around the side of the house looking and doing a head count on my chickens. Everyone is accounted for and totally relaxed so I spot her by the Mimosa tree staring at the hillside. I then understand the problem. I see a Great Pyrenees dragging a leash tangled up in a tree on the hillside. Tangled was not the word for it, in his panic to get loose he had about a foot left and was choking himself trying to get loose. I told mom who I thought it belonged to as they are the only ones I know who have a Pyrenees and offered to go get them to help. She declined and told me to go get her pocket knife and she would cut him loose. It took some time but she got him cut loose and used one of the horses lead ropes to walk him up into the yard. She is livid at this point and when I saw him I understood why. He was horribly matted but that is the least of his problems. She told me to feel him. Underneath the fur he is skin and bones. CeeCee easily weighs more then he does and he is 3 years old so should be done growing. His collar was a makeshift one using a metal tie out cable and it was tight. She took pictures and video's on her phone, lots of them. She cut loose the wire collar and then walked him up the road to see if he belonged to our neighbor, which he did. She went by herself and came home 45 minutes later after a blow-up argument with them.

She actually scared the guy when he saw her walking him home. He is afraid of the dog as he has bit everyone in their household and he could not understand that he had not ate her up or even offered to. She informed them scared of him or not it was no excuse to starve him. If they were afraid of him they needed to get rid of him and I guess told them she was calling the animal shelter today.

Last night she sat at the table and cried for a hour while talking to dad. She is tempted to take him herself. Hearing he bites worries her though. Even skin and bones this is no little dog we are dealing with. He is a good 6 inches taller then CeeCee and you all know she is a big girl. I have reservations about him but told her I would support whatever she decides to do. Deep down, I do not want him and I could never trust him with a bite history. I am all for calling the animal shelter though. I fear if the shelter does nothing, which they tend to do sadly, she will not sit back and do nothing. I want a LGD, just not this one.
How tragic and sad. I could just clobber some people.

I would say that if that dog didn’t bite or attempt to bite your mum while he was in distress, then he is likely not a biter.

More likely those people have teases and traumatized the poor beast and he has retaliated.

Did he show any reaction to the chooks while your mum was working on him in the yard?

Poor fella. Why do people get animals if they don’t make them part of the family.

How tragic and sad. I could just clobber some people.

I would say that if that dog didn’t bite or attempt to bite your mum while he was in distress, then he is likely not a biter.

More likely those people have teases and traumatized the poor beast and he has retaliated.

Did he show any reaction to the chooks while your mum was working on him in the yard?

Poor fella. Why do people get animals if they don’t make them part of the family.
He allowed my Mom and me to a point to touch him. He did get reactive when my brother tried to cross the creek to help cut him loose. Dad was on Dirt so he never saw him or got close to him. He could very well be reactive to men due to some mistreatment. When he was a pup he got loose a few times. He came in the yard then and he never looked at the chickens. He just had no manners and would jump up on you. He still has no manners or leash training as he was jumping up on mom on the walk home. I walked him home myself 2 years ago and he was friendly towards me then. He is kept in their backyard. I hear him barking but unless I go snooping to see him I never see him so in truth I forget about him unless he is loose.

I'll tell you what he needs right now. His back half of his body, shaved, too matted to brush out. He needs flea treatment, he was filthy and full of flea dirt. Food obviously. I cannot tell you if he has ever saw a vet, honestly probably not so there is shots and everything else. He is also not neutered, that would need to be done. I will tell you right now it is cheaper to have a vet out for a farm call for the horses then it is to take a dog to the vet. Big dog, major ouch.

At a minimum, he would need a nexgaurd for fleas and ticks, his size that would be 2 of the maximum dose pills. Worming, shots, neutering, heartworm check and preventative. Our vet and his prices looking at $600 easily.

Then factor in some major fencing to keep him contained, training, and really does he like men? Does he like children? Skin and bones, I put him around 90lbs and he is still as strong as a ox. At a healthy weight, he should easily hit 140 for his size and build if not more.

For anyone he would be a major commitment. Could he be a good dog for someone? Maybe. Would he do better on a big farm with a job, yes that would be ideal I think. I just cannot get over hearing he has bitten several people. Personally, I feel if a dog bites, it should be put down.

Is that a Red Shouldered Hawk? They're supposed to be rare in our area but we have at least 2 pairs that live right by our property, which is really cool! Except for the fact that we have chickens to worry about now 😆

Yesterday and the day before a bald eagle flew right over the house, too. We don't see that as often!

Most of our hawks are cooper's hawks with the occasional red tailed. I really can't tell from that far away. Maybe @ChicoryBlue can help ID it. She is a bit of a hawk expert.
No expert here. But I look for the shape in flight to narrow it down to probably a buteo (big fat wings compared to body, likes to soar on thermals). It’s so far away I can’t do more than that visually.

But Bob, you had calls on that video! Plus @TOMTE has experience with Red-Shouldered Hawks, which to me makes that a very reliable guess. So off to All About Birds (Cornell University web site) to look up Red-Shouldered, read how they describe the call, and listen to the clips they have.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Red-shouldered_Hawk/sounds

The fourth clip has the two-part call most similar in quality (though it’s a short version of it) and overall the clips have a strong resemblance, per the written description.

Next, I looked at each of the “similar species” they list, listened to their calls and also read the descriptions of the species’ call. That eliminated those others quite quickly - the basic quality of the calls and the descriptions were very different. So I’m going with Red-Shouldered.

Regional differences account for some of the differences we hear, but remember from our chicken experiences - we all know how every chicken sounds a little different, and that every sound they make doesn’t have the same meaning either, of course. So the library of sounds Cornell has collected is trying to be representative of what has been observed in the field, and also is dependent on whether someone has made a quality recording of it.

He allowed my Mom and me to a point to touch him. He did get reactive when my brother tried to cross the creek to help cut him loose. Dad was on Dirt so he never saw him or got close to him. He could very well be reactive to men due to some mistreatment. When he was a pup he got loose a few times. He came in the yard then and he never looked at the chickens. He just had no manners and would jump up on you. He still has no manners or leash training as he was jumping up on mom on the walk home. I walked him home myself 2 years ago and he was friendly towards me then. He is kept in their backyard. I hear him barking but unless I go snooping to see him I never see him so in truth I forget about him unless he is loose.

I'll tell you what he needs right now. His back half of his body, shaved, too matted to brush out. He needs flea treatment, he was filthy and full of flea dirt. Food obviously. I cannot tell you if he has ever saw a vet, honestly probably not so there is shots and everything else. He is also not neutered, that would need to be done. I will tell you right now it is cheaper to have a vet out for a farm call for the horses then it is to take a dog to the vet. Big dog, major ouch.

At a minimum, he would need a nexgaurd for fleas and ticks, his size that would be 2 of the maximum dose pills. Worming, shots, neutering, heartworm check and preventative. Our vet and his prices looking at $600 easily.

Then factor in some major fencing to keep him contained, training, and really does he like men? Does he like children? Skin and bones, I put him around 90lbs and he is still as strong as a ox. At a healthy weight, he should easily hit 140 for his size and build if not more.

For anyone he would be a major commitment. Could he be a good dog for someone? Maybe. Would he do better on a big farm with a job, yes that would be ideal I think. I just cannot get over hearing he has bitten several people. Personally, I feel if a dog bites, it should be put down.
I am in agreement with biting - cost just as money to feed a good dog as a bad dog.

Such a sad situation. People just make ma so frustrated at times.

Yesterday was a day let me tell you. My mom is livid about a dog and I will go into that in another post. I do not want to scare anyone though as he did not chase or harm any chickens or anything. This is a neglect and abuse case involving the neighbor at the end of the street's Great Pyrenees. You want to tick off my mom, starve a animal.

Anyway, I introduced you all to a few of the new kittens yesterday that another neighbors cat had. Last night my brother went out to his car to hear a kitten screaming. 1 of them had been separated from its mother and siblings. He looked around and could not find them and then noticed it's eye. It was completely covered over with puss and it could not open it. My brother deep down below the sarcastic side he has is a softie.

This is the current situation....
View attachment 3962840View attachment 3962841
He and his girlfriend cleaned up the eye. He is picking up antibiotics after work for it. When he gets home he is also worming it and the rest of the litter if he can find them as this one is full of worms. We are not keeping it, we still have the 4 hooligans that are 5 months old now. It is a boy so he and his girlfriend are going to put the word out to find it a home.
Awwwww hug your brother for me 😊

Want to make me mad? Don’t neuter your pets. So many dogs and cats out there, needless babies being made and people dumping them on the side of the road. I get so mad!

Tax
Some BFTP fluffy derrières
4B22F019-31EB-45C5-9914-66BA6A913F10.jpeg
676D94FA-E542-40AE-A6CF-69B011509A7F.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom