Fully formed poop with yellow cap

chickdiane10

Chirping
Dec 29, 2023
Noticed weird yellow capped poop about 4-5 days ago.
Pinpointrd it to 7.5 mo old black star hen named Bingo.
Started laying brown eggs in January.
Noticed less eggs overall this week (I have 4 layers). Was often getting 2 brown eggs on the same days (I have 1 other that lays brown). So thinking she's not laying currently. I did see her sitting in the nesting box but when I went out later she hadn't laid an egg.

Recently everyone was wormed with .5ml valbazen and repeat treatment 14 days later. (Fecal float showed cappilaria so they got wormed following the report.)

Yesterday she started puffing up a bit. It was really cold after having some good weather. Again today puffing up.

Crop was empty this morning. (I'll check at roost tonight to see if full). I can also inspect for mites, though hasn't been too long since elector psp.

Her belly felt normal and her butt is clean. I compared her to another same sized layer and they felt identical.

She's eating, drinking, foraging, roosting.
Changes in environment; I took out a flockmate last week (she had crop surgery from being impacted with grit 🫣) and the black star hen "Bingo" stuff began soon after.

Do I need to worm again?
Is she just depressed?
I've googled the poop and it's not runny so I'm thrown for a loop here. I've seen yellow diarhea but not regularly fully formed kind.

Attachments

• 20240318_094238.jpg
    20240318_094238.jpg
    777 KB · Views: 107
The (normally white) yellow urates in her poop are what is concerning. I would be concerned about a possible reproductive infection. Fatty liver disease and water belly (ascites) are two other things that may cause yellow urates. Have you seen any unusual or thin shelled eggs recently? What is her diet and feed? How long ago was the last worming? Have you any antibiotics?

The (normally white) yellow urates in her poop are what is concerning. I would be concerned about a possible reproductive infection. Fatty liver disease and water belly (ascites) are two other things that may cause yellow urates. Have you seen any unusual or thin shelled eggs recently? What is her diet and feed? How long ago was the last worming? Have you any antibiotics?
Her shells have always been nice and strong.
I feed new country organics pastured perfect layer feed.
Wormed Feb23 and March 8th, 2024.
I have denegard and amoxicillin here.

I might consider treating her with Amoxicllin 250 mg given orally twice a day for 7-10 days. Does she get any extra treats beside the the feed? Then I would keep an eye on her droppings to see if the yellow persists over the next week.

Ok. I'll start antibiotics.

She's not overweight, feels normal/ leaning toward slender but not bony.

As far as treats, I give a small handful of black soldier fly larvae between all 5 once in the morning, (maybe they get 5-8 bugs a piece). I don't do scratch. I wet about 1/2 cup of feed in a bowl each morning for them, I sprinkle it with a little mixture of probiotics, cinnamon, tumeric, black pepper, oregano, and alfalfa leaf. A couple days a week I'll add poultry cell.

I'm definitely concerned on a reproductive issue bc she was such a good layer from the beginning.

I worry we haven't eradicated the cappilaria too. I'm thinking of sending off another sample.

H-m-m-m, I wonder if it might be the Poultry Cell causing the yellow urates? Could you hold off on that for a few days and see if they become white again? Just a thought. Wait on the antibiotics if she is not acting sick.

Ok. I'll start antibiotics.

She's not overweight, feels normal/ leaning toward slender but not bony.

As far as treats, I give a small handful of black soldier fly larvae between all 5 once in the morning, (maybe they get 5-8 bugs a piece). I don't do scratch. I wet about 1/2 cup of feed in a bowl each morning for them, I sprinkle it with a little mixture of probiotics, cinnamon, tumeric, black pepper, oregano, and alfalfa leaf. A couple days a week I'll add poultry cell.

I'm definitely concerned on a reproductive issue bc she was such a good layer from the beginning.

I worry we haven't eradicated the cappilaria too. I'm thinking of sending off another sample.
1/2 cup of feed is not enough feed for 5 hens for a day.

I'd stop adding all this extra stuff and feed only a layer type crumble or pelleted feed.

1/2 cup of feed is not enough feed for 5 hens for a day.

I'd stop adding all this extra stuff and feed only a layer type crumble or pelleted feed.
The snack is 1/2 cup of soaked feed.
They also have a feeder to free eat from all day.

I will stop poultry cell and see it that helps.

She is puffing up a little, but it could be the cold.

Today I only got 1 egg from a bantam cochin. Got 3 yesterday, 2 from bantams, and 1 brown full sized. (4 laying hens currently). We were getting a few days each week of 2 brown eggs.

I forgot another environment change: One thing I did do is change the feeder holding the oyster shell. I put it in a small port feeder bc they were knocking it over in the bowl or throwing dirt over it. I don't see them in it very much. Today I set some of the oyster shell next to the grit bowl.

It should only take a day or two to know if the yellow urates was do to the thiamine in the Poultry Cell. If you ever take B complex, you may notice it causes bright yellow urine. If they don’t change color, it may well be one of the other issues mentioned before. Reproductive disorders are usually more common after 2-3 years, but occasionally happen to young ones. Fatty liver disease and cancer are also common. I offer soaked fresh feed to my chickens as a treat as well. Dry feed is always available. Chickens that eat corn and scratch, and other treats tend to get fatty liver disease, and those chickens may stop laying.

The feed I have is corn and soy free. Not sure if that affects anything.

She's standing weird this morning. I'll observe her more often through the day as I have some desk work and their run is in eye shot.

Attachments

• 20240319_075044.jpg
    20240319_075044.jpg
    430.2 KB · Views: 15

Back
Top Bottom