Fully formed poop with yellow cap

The feed I have is corn and soy free. Not sure if that affects anything.

She's standing weird this morning. I'll observe her more often through the day as I have some desk work and their run is in eye shot.
I thought you said you fed a layer feed? If you give corn extra, then don’t. They only need a layer or all flock feed. Anything else is a treat, and should be very limited.

Yes I feed layer feed.
I thought you said you fed a layer feed? If you give corn extra, then don’t. They only need a layer or all flock feed. Anything else is a treat, and should be very limited.
Yes I give layer feed, (new country organics pastured perfect).
I don't give any corn. Their snack is just soaked layer feed with probiotic powder, and I add poultry cell a couple times per week.
I haven't added any poultry cell yesterday or today to see if that changes the color. No egg again from her today. So about 1 week she hasn't laid.
I held her today and her bum got this on my pants.

Attachments

• received_1465195564077484.jpeg
    received_1465195564077484.jpeg
    192.1 KB · Views: 8
I went to poultry dvm and put in every symptom my chickens had/have and the top 2 items were blackhead and roundworm.
I had fecals done recently that said capillaria and coccidia. They didn’t test blackhead.
We are losing #4 chicken right now, #5 has the yellow in droppings and off as per original post.

Apparently valbazen will only kill cecael worms (which can harbor blackhead, a protozoa), but not actually kill blackhead. There is no "approved antiprotozoal" for blackhead. But
Metronidazole, Ronidazole, Dimetridazole, and papaya seed extract are listed in poultry dvm as treatment.

I only had 6 full sized hens, they all keep dying slowly since Christmas.
We tested ALV and Mareks negative as well.
I haven't asked a vet yet, but not seeing how they test for blackhead. They just confirm in necrospy 🥺. All things in common are yellow diarhea and wasting.

Chickens normally don’t get blackhead. Blackhead is more a of a turkey disease, from being kept with chickens and being exposed to cecal worms. In other words, chickens can carry blackhead, but turkeys are more affected by it.

Both Valbazen 1/2 ml given orally once and again in 10 days,and SafeGuard 1/4 ml per pound of weight given for 5 consecutive days will treat capillary, roundworm, cecal, and gapeworms.

Since you stopped the vitamins for a couple of days, I think the bright yellow dropping is a reproductive infection.

Last edited:
Poultry DVM is a vague website. It is not an official source of facts that something like Merck Veterinary Manual, or a professional veterinary college source. Some of their info is accurate, and maybe helpful, but they have had some inaccurate info on their website over the years. Here is an article to read about blackhead:
https://extension.psu.edu/histomoniasis-blackhead-disease

Chickens normally don’t get blackhead. Blackhead is more a of a turkey disease, from being kept with chickens and being exposed to cecal worms. In other words, chickens can carry blackhead, but turkeys are more affected by it.

Both Valbazen 1/2 ml given orally once and again in 10 days,and SafeGuard 1/4 ml per pound of weight given for 5 consecutive days will treat capillary, roundworm, cecal, and gapeworms.

Since you stopped the vitamins for a couple of days, I think the bright yellow dropping is a reproductive infection.
What would you recommend to treat a reproductive infection?

I read this from the university of Perdue, which is 2 hrs from me. Apparently the Midwest does see it in chickens. (I'm in Indiana). But I'm not seeing how it's tested, so not something I'll be able to test to treat.
I'm not thoroughly convinced it's that anyhow and do believe she is having a reproductive issue due to her not laying for a week.

But stemming back to 3 losses and #4 going downhill I keep wondering what is at play. I did just lose an Easter egger to egg yolk peritonitis in January. My first became lame and slowly wasted even with food and water in front of her, 3rd also just wasted away, stopped eating. #4 same, wasting, stopped eating. I suppose I just got very unlucky with my 6 rural king chickens. But it has to be something. I don't know if a worm load could do all this.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240322_175033_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20240322_175033_Drive.jpg
    754.6 KB · Views: 7

I'm taking her into the vet, but they got her set up for Tuesday.

Anything I can do to keep her getting worse by then?

And any suggestions what I should ask for? I'm going to bring in a fecal and ask for parasites/bacterial on that.

What would you recommend to treat a reproductive infection?

Make sure that she is eating a balanced diet of chicken feed, egg, drinking well, and not too many treats. Have you wormed recently? I would take a fresh poop sample in a ziploc bag on Tuesday. You could collect some overnight on puppy pads or a towel while inside a dog crate. If the vet thinks there are cecal worms, then blackhead might be considered, but antibiotics may help if it is reproductive infection. Cancer or ascites should also be considered a cause of the yellow poop.

Back
Top Bottom