Great Pyrenees thread

Yes I do know that and it’s stated above 2X now and this will be the third time that I’ve stated that we got her with the intent of getting her started on chickens and then having goats and sheep for her which we got within a couple months of getting her, the plan all along.

I didn't ask about your dog. That's just you getting defensive.

What I asked is whether or not LGDs guarding fowl, and only fowl is "ok" in your book. You said yes. Problem is, that they were not bred to guard fowl, and much as they weren't bred to be pets. What you fail to realise is that times have progressed. It is OK for an LGD to be a chicken guardian, and it is OK for an LGD to be a pet. LGDs have always been bred to be able to handle whatever gets thrown at them. Guarding chickens, being a pet/property guardian doesn't mean they don't get to express their guarding instincts.

You are not stating a fact. What you are stating is an opinion, and shaming a person who takes excellent care of their dog in the process

I didn't ask about your dog. That's just you getting defensive.

What I asked is whether or not LGDs guarding fowl, and only fowl is "ok" in your book. You said yes. Problem is, that they were not bred to guard fowl, and much as they weren't bred to be pets. What you fail to realise is that times have progressed. It is OK for an LGD to be a chicken guardian, and it is OK for an LGD to be a pet. LGDs have always been bred to be able to handle whatever gets thrown at them. Guarding chickens, being a pet/property guardian doesn't mean they don't get to express their guarding instincts.

You are not stating a fact. What you are stating is an opinion, and shaming a person who takes excellent care of their dog in the process
I’m done discussing it, facts are facts and Ive tried to drop it several times now.

Hm, not so nice are you? Very true that purposes change BUT I do believe that all the breeds listed can be happy as pets but would probably be happiER if used for their original purpose. Qinzer never once wanted to come in the house, neither did Aspen who is a purebred Aussie. Both are much happier working.
You’re the one that came on here attacking Pamps for no reason and I’m not nice? And not all dogs of those breeds are happier working. Some lines are bred specifically as pets and would be miserable outside.

IMG_0589.jpeg

Hangin in the new pasture 🥰

You’re the one that came on here attacking Pamps for no reason and I’m not nice? And not all dogs of those breeds are happier working. Some lines are bred specifically as pets and would be miserable outside.
And there's always the wash-outs too. Some dogs just aren't built for being LGDs, even if they were bred for it, because animals are individuals. I know a couple people who've gotten dogs that were specifically bred and raised to guard livestock that became a threat to the livestock they guarded or simply weren't attentive enough for the job. They were retired to pet-only status. Somebody's gotta be at the bottom of the class, not every dog lives up to their potential in the way you want them to.

And there's always the wash-outs too. Some dogs just aren't built for being LGDs, even if they were bred for it, because animals are individuals. I know a couple people who've gotten dogs that were specifically bred and raised to guard livestock that became a threat to the livestock they guarded or simply weren't attentive enough for the job. They were retired to pet-only status. Somebody's gotta be at the bottom of the class, not every dog lives up to their potential in the way you want them to.
Exactly!!! Thank you!!! ❤️❤️❤️

This thread is a disaster! lol

Can we get it back on track with some questions about GPs?

I have a deposit on one, from a reputable breeder here in the Appalachians - from working lines and the pup will be started on Chickens, Goats, Cows and Horses. We will only be working her on Chickens, Cows and Goats.

BUT I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS before I get her. I know the breeder can help me, too. But I like to be prepared.

Firstly, some background information; I have experience training a border collie that I got from a rescue with zero training - but it was a BC so she was so easy, even though when I got her she didn't even have recall.

I also trained a pomeranian, but she was so small and good, teaching sit and coming to her name and leave it were all she ever needed. <3

But I hear GPs and LGD's in general don't train like any other dogs and you know what? I can't get anyone to tell me HOW to start a dog. Videos are vague. People won't respond to questions with actual answers. I'm beginning to think people are full of shite. LOL

So - in preparation for getting my pup in September - she will be 16 weeks old -- what can I do?

HOW do I teach her the boundaries of my property? I've heard you have to do that, but no one has answered my questions of how.

How do you introduce animals? I've heard you have to do that, but no one says how.

Everyone says "don't leave them alone with livestock until 1" but our dog isn't a pet, she won't be coming in the house. Do I pen her? Fence her off? I've never had to do that to a dog before, so I need specifics.

Any advice is helpful, thank you in advance!

This thread is a disaster! lol

Can we get it back on track with some questions about GPs?

I have a deposit on one, from a reputable breeder here in the Appalachians - from working lines and the pup will be started on Chickens, Goats, Cows and Horses. We will only be working her on Chickens, Cows and Goats.

BUT I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS before I get her. I know the breeder can help me, too. But I like to be prepared.

Firstly, some background information; I have experience training a border collie that I got from a rescue with zero training - but it was a BC so she was so easy, even though when I got her she didn't even have recall.

I also trained a pomeranian, but she was so small and good, teaching sit and coming to her name and leave it were all she ever needed. <3

But I hear GPs and LGD's in general don't train like any other dogs and you know what? I can't get anyone to tell me HOW to start a dog. Videos are vague. People won't respond to questions with actual answers. I'm beginning to think people are full of shite. LOL

So - in preparation for getting my pup in September - she will be 16 weeks old -- what can I do?

HOW do I teach her the boundaries of my property? I've heard you have to do that, but no one has answered my questions of how.

How do you introduce animals? I've heard you have to do that, but no one says how.

Everyone says "don't leave them alone with livestock until 1" but our dog isn't a pet, she won't be coming in the house. Do I pen her? Fence her off? I've never had to do that to a dog before, so I need specifics.

Any advice is helpful, thank you in advance!
For basic training I train mine the same as any other dog but with LOTS of patience, they are stubborn and independent dogs so they don't do anything because you tell them, they do it because they choose to. I unfortunately won't be much help for teaching the boundaries of property or leaving with livestock as I've never done that but I wish you the best of luck! Congrats on the new puppy!

For basic training I train mine the same as any other dog but with LOTS of patience, they are stubborn and independent dogs so they don't do anything because you tell them, they do it because they choose to. I unfortunately won't be much help for teaching the boundaries of property or leaving with livestock as I've never done that but I wish you the best of luck! Congrats on the new puppy!
Another thing is they aren't very food motivated in my experience, to a point they may not even eat everyday. Of course this depends on the dog but both mine and another I know don't eat what a normal dog their size would be eating. So keep that in mind for training

Back
Top Bottom