Hatching Eggs - Journal

85D2EC22-0504-408E-8F44-464739DE2143.jpeg

Still doing good! 🎉

Next task is to figure out how to seperate Pickle from the babies. I don’t want to because I know she’ll be upset. But we can’t keep her trapped in the house most the day. The other ducks have been sleeping the run as well. And it’s too cold in the morning/night now for the babies to be out of the house.

Any tips?

I’m very worried about how upset Pickle will be

Why do you need to separate Pickles from her babies? When i have a mama and ducklings they get to stay inside the coop with everyone I just make them their own little space I use scrap lattice then once all the others are out for the day mama and ducklings get the coop. This is for first week after that I use dog X pens to keep mama and ducklings separated but where all can still see each other this way she gets to have them outside but none can pick on them .Crude but it works for over night sleeping.
IMG_2426.jpeg

Last edited:
Why do you need to separate Pickles from her babies? When i have a mama and ducklings they get to stay inside the coop with everyone I just make them their own little space I use scrap lattice then once all the others are out for the day mama and ducklings get the coop. This is for first week after that I use dog X pens to keep mama and ducklings separated but where all can still see each other this way she gets to have them outside but none can pick on them .Crude but it works for over night sleeping.
View attachment 3945692
I like this idea! That may work

Some of our others are working on accepting the babies, so that’s why we keep them seperate. But I hate to keep her stuck in the house instead of out roaming around. We only let her and the kids out when we can supervise incase one of the others does something. Our goose has already had her turn 😵‍💫

Feels like no ‘good’ way to go about it lol

I like this idea! That may work

Some of our others are working on accepting the babies, so that’s why we keep them seperate. But I hate to keep her stuck in the house instead of out roaming around. We only let her and the kids out when we can supervise incase one of the others does something. Our goose has already had her turn 😵‍💫

Feels like no ‘good’ way to go about it lol
This is just how I have had to do it with ducklings and chicks for the same reason my goose and other ducks and chickens. Usually the first week my mamas don't mind at all being inside the coop. It gives the babies a good chance to get their legs under them and a good bond with their mamas. Let me know how it goes.

This is just how I have had to do it with ducklings and chicks for the same reason my goose and other ducks and chickens. Usually the first week my mamas don't mind at all being inside the coop. It gives the babies a good chance to get their legs under them and a good bond with their mamas. Let me know how it goes.
During the day what do you usually do with them?

Today I put mom and babies in the run with a little pool (the babies love swimming with her lol)

Just trying to figure out a long term plan since it’s going to start getting colder during the day next week

During the first week they are in the coop with mama, 2nd week mama gets them outside I use a dog X pen to keep mama and ducklings close to everyone but this way all the rest of the flock can meet and greet and no bullies, 3rd week mama and duckling get to be out with everyone and I supervise for a few days to make sure everyone is behaving. My big pool is up top of their fenced property so I don't worry about the ducklings getting in and drowning. Down where mama and ducklings are there is a small kiddy pool and I make steps to get in and a very large rock inside to get out safely. Ducklings are pretty hardy but if your going to have cold weather I wouldn't let mine get into water until they are around 5 weeks old.

During the first week they are in the coop with mama, 2nd week mama gets them outside I use a dog X pen to keep mama and ducklings close to everyone but this way all the rest of the flock can meet and greet and no bullies, 3rd week mama and duckling get to be out with everyone and I supervise for a few days to make sure everyone is behaving. My big pool is up top of their fenced property so I don't worry about the ducklings getting in and drowning. Down where mama and ducklings are there is a small kiddy pool and I make steps to get in and a very large rock inside to get out safely. Ducklings are pretty hardy but if your going to have cold weather I wouldn't let mine get into water until they are around 5 weeks old.
Thankyou so much. This is very helpful. I’ll have to look for a dog pen to set up. We used a piece of garden wired fencing yesterday but the holes are big enough for the babies to get through

Thankyou so much. This is very helpful. I’ll have to look for a dog pen to set up. We used a piece of garden wired fencing yesterday but the holes are big enough for the babies to get through
Dog fencing will most likely be the same I put plastic poultry fencing over the dog fencing using tie wraps. This keeps them inside of it.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H8YTJI?tag=bravesoftwa04-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&language=en_US just an idea and many come starting at 24" high and you can configure how you want. I have one set up at my Miuscovy house just as a barrier to keep my 2 old ladies [13] safe from my young drake. I am using it as fencing. Maybe look on craigslist for one for sale. I also use them around my pools so the birds only have one way in and out and won't jump off the sides and injure their legs. [Had that happen] IMG_2481.jpeg IMG_2743.jpeg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom