have you ever seen a chicken with blue eyes?

Wow! That's really fascinating!!
Splash looks lavender at times in chicks. And black birds can be hiding other feather patterns even though you don't have any white birds in your flock... If you splash bred to a blue.. this is likely another splash offspring??

All juvenile birds have light colored, greyish.. maybe blue ish eyes, I think.. and suspect it will change significantly with time. See how it turns once mature! :pop

I have seen ONE other blue eyed adult chicken.. it was a white Leghorn I believe, seen here..
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/blue-eyed-leghorn.1144270/#post-17822380

Cute chick, glad you're having fun! :D
Nice! Thank you for sharing the link! Never heard of blue eyes.

that is interesting. i wonder if that will happen to my girl?
Maybe. Your girl seems to have brown bleeding through in her iris. They might be changing, or not.

Through my reading, I have found that generally chickens have five eye colors:gold, red, brown, black, & pink (albino). I've also read that a symptom of ocular Marek's is the changing of the normal iris colors to grey, it may also cause the pupil to be irregularly shaped. Not saying your chicken has anything wrong, just saying that if you had a brown eyed girl turn blue, there might be something going on there.

As someone else mentioned, Aloha chickens can have blue eyes as adults. So while most chickens have gold, red, brown, black, & pink (albino), there may be outliers like the Aloha chicken.

Whatever the eye color, you have a beautiful girl.

Maybe. Your girl seems to have brown bleeding through in her iris. They might be changing, or not.

Through my reading, I have found that generally chickens have five eye colors:gold, red, brown, black, & pink (albino). I've also read that a symptom of ocular Marek's is the changing of the normal iris colors to grey, it may also cause the pupil to be irregularly shaped. Not saying your chicken has anything wrong, just saying that if you had a brown eyed girl turn blue, there might be something going on there.

As someone else mentioned, Aloha chickens can have blue eyes as adults. So while most chickens have gold, red, brown, black, & pink (albino), there may be outliers like the Aloha chicken.

Whatever the eye color, you have a beautiful girl.
yeah i hope it isnt anything like that. when she hatched her eyes were grey (if i remember right) and they have been getting bluer and bluer. she is only about 5 weeks old so IDK if this is just a passing phase, personally i think it has something to do with her moms genetics as the mom was a genetic abnormality (all white bird from parents with no white in linage or on them) so i am thinking she passed that down in some form which is what caused the odd color and eyes. but again, i have no clue :)

yeah i hope it isnt anything like that. when she hatched her eyes were grey (if i remember right) and they have been getting bluer and bluer. she is only about 5 weeks old so IDK if this is just a passing phase, personally i think it has something to do with her moms genetics as the mom was a genetic abnormality (all white bird from parents with no white in linage or on them) so i am thinking she passed that down in some form which is what caused the odd color and eyes. but again, i have no clue :)
About the chick’s mother- what color were her parents?

because i have now!
this chick hatched out and i knew there was something special about her. her mom is a freak all white chicken (from my flock with no white chickens) and the dad (who i got after her) is a splash Americana. from them i got this girl who is lavenderish splash (i have no lavender chickens and it looks real strange) who has BLUE EYES! it is even bluer in real life but it was hard to get a photo of her and that is why i was holding her head still for a second.
i just thought i should share :)
iView attachment 2438212
I always wanted a chicken with blue eyes, but all I've ever gotten was blue-eyed Cornish Xs! :(

Beautiful hen with beautiful eyes!! :love:love:love

I always wanted a chicken with blue eyes, but all I've ever gotten was blue-eyed Cornish Xs! :(

Beautiful hen with beautiful eyes!! :love:love:love
honestly i didn't even know it could happen! so i was SHOCKED when i saw her blue eyes. i cant believe how lucky i have been with genetics (with her and her mom)

Back
Top Bottom