have you ever seen a chicken with blue eyes?

honestly i didn't even know it could happen! so i was SHOCKED when i saw her blue eyes. i cant believe how lucky i have been with genetics (with her and her mom)
I've known it for awhile now. Awhile back in some magazine I saw a blue-eyed hen. She was a breed that I'm not familiar with, but I've been dreaming about having a blue-eyed chicken ever since.

Do you have a picture of the ISA brown mix?
she passed away earlier this year she was my pet hen who lived mostly in my house.
i only have some older photos but she looked. one was when she was a young pullet and the other she is the one on the left. she had absolutely no white and i was told that her siblings looked exactly like her, i dont know what her parentage is.

Attachments

• IMG_20181229_135850.jpg
    IMG_20181229_135850.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20190605_132342.jpg
    IMG_20190605_132342.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
she passed away earlier this year she was my pet hen who lived mostly in my house.
i only have some older photos but she looked. one was when she was a young pullet and the other she is the one on the left. she had absolutely no white and i was told that her siblings looked exactly like her, i dont know what her parentage is.
I’m sorry for your loss. My guess is recessive white. Both parents being mixes, it makes sense that the would carry some recessive genes.

I’m sorry for your loss. My guess is recessive white. Both parents being mixes, it makes sense that the would carry some recessive genes.
it is odd though as i know the dad had no white in his parentage or siblings and i had hatched about 75 chicks out of that exact pairing and had none with any white. that rooster also has a couple hundred chicks out there and i have never seen another white one.

it is odd though as i know the dad had no white in his parentage or siblings and i had hatched about 75 chicks out of that exact pairing and had none with any white. that rooster also has a couple hundred chicks out there and i have never seen another white one.
75 from the same pairing? That’s a lot. :lol:
I agree that it’s odd, but it’s the most likely answer. Silver wouldn’t make sense, since both of the parents have gold, and dominant white would be visible on the parents. You’re absolutely sure about her parentage too?

75 from the same pairing? That’s a lot. :lol:
I agree that it’s odd, but it’s the most likely answer. Silver wouldn’t make sense, since both of the parents have gold, and dominant white would be visible on the parents. You’re absolutely sure about her parentage too?
i am sure of the parentage as i only had 1 roo at the time and 3 hens 1 i never got any chicks out of (not for lack of trying) and the other was another americana, angel (the mom) lays brown eggs so it is very unlikely that caramel (the americana) is the mom. angel also looks just like little red (the ISA cross) did but white.
and yeah, i make most of my money off of chicken breeding and the pairing produced really good and friendly layers.
edit: and with rec white i tried testing it by hatching little red x rooster (that is his name) back with rooster and got no white (tried somEwhere between 25 and 50 with her various offspring)

Awww, that's a bummer...I"m sorry to hear that she's passed away 😢. It was very sweet that she lived mostly in your house. (For all those who read that & thought "not in this house," you must know my other half.)

She looks very pretty and since she was mostly a house chicken, then she was obviously a well loved pet. I take you at your word that her eyes were blue, since I can't tell on my screen (but it could be what I'm using to view it.)

Awww, that's a bummer...I"m sorry to hear that she's passed away 😢. It was very sweet that she lived mostly in your house. (For all those who read that & thought "not in this house," you must know my other half.)

She looks very pretty and since she was mostly a house chicken, then she was obviously a well loved pet. I take you at your word that her eyes were blue, since I can't tell on my screen (but it could be what I'm using to view it.)
yeah, i miss her alot. she had a tumor on the back of her neck and passed during the surgery. it was devastating. i lost both of my other pet hens this year too due to random occurrences. i had never lost one before and then this year i lost all 3. i am hoping to raise the blue eye chick to be a pet but she is really bonded to her mom.
i am sad you couldn't see the blue eyes. it really is something. must be the screen, that happens sometimes.

Well, turns out her eyes didn't stay green. Her eyes were still green at 6 months so, I'd thought they'd remain that color.

yeah, i miss her alot. she had a tumor on the back of her neck and passed during the surgery. it was devastating. i lost both of my other pet hens this year too due to random occurrences. i had never lost one before and then this year i lost all 3. i am hoping to raise the blue eye chick to be a pet but she is really bonded to her mom.
i am sad you couldn't see the blue eyes. it really is something. must be the screen, that happens sometimes.
Losing them is THE worst part of having them, hands down & it's terrible that you had a triple loss in such a short time.

Don't worry if little blue eyes is more bonded to her mother than interested in being your cuddle house chicken. It's going to seem odd to hear this but you may just find a cuddle bug when & where you least expect to. Until then, keep being the great chicken Mom that you are.

I've had a cuddle bug in each flock. When the cuddle lap chicken would pass away, someone else would step in to take her place... until the flock that I have now. My last willing snuggle chicken passed away and while each of the remaining ladies are beautiful, filled with personality & will strut into the house like they own it when I go in to fetch treats, no one is interested in sitting on my lap or being held.
They still interact, they just want to do it their way, not my way, so I don't try to force it.

Ok, sometimes I do still pet them when they're up on the perch at night & the lights are out. They tolerate it but I wouldn't say that they're overly fond if it, lol!

Back
Top Bottom