Help with a Great Pyrenees

Yes! My point was supposed to be this is so doable, and worth it ❤️ I don't think I'm great at making points... 😆
🤣 definitely worth it, never had a relationship with a dog like I have with my pyr. It's not even just mine, I've fallen in love with the girl I walk too ❤️

They are just so discerning and vigilant though. It's hard for me to believe a Pyrenees does not know the difference between something "in its flock" being in distress or making content sounds. I just feel like she's entertaining herself and has decided there's no real reason why that's a bad thing. Clearly not in her nature and I think it can be corrected if done quickly.
😂 Such a contradiction here. Hard for you to believe a pyr doesn't know the difference between something "in its flock" being in distress or making content sounds, but easy for you to believe a pyr is killing something "in its flock" for entertainment.

I hope the OP figures it out quickly because it sounds like dad already has a strong opinion.

This is a working dog that has to have a job. Some consider guarding the job and others need more stimulation. If guarding isn't working, try a new job. Take her to Obedience training. It's the best way for the 2 of you to increase your bond. Do what it takes to keep her away from the flock while you're doing other jobs, then try again with the flock but no babies, ease her back into babies with alot of "be nice to babies," type training (whatever command works for you,) doing this as if she's a pup again. I don't ever understand how people are so quick to talk re-homing as if chickens are for life, but dog's are not. It'd be different if you were one of those threads where owner has hate for dog and is therefore not willing to do some work since a job for her does also mean a job for you. So kudo's for the love and understanding you have for her. I have this happen sometimes where all is good and then one day not all is good. But you work through it, there is always a solution for both dog and chickens. Fences make more than good nieghbors. Good Luck! I hope you keep us posted. I see many supportive, thoughtful suggestions here. :love

personally I'd suggest rehoming her with someone who does not have chickens. not fair to her to try to 'fix' it. obviously something about them is bothering her so she'd be happier if they weren't around.

When we had a herd of 250+ Spanish/ Savanna Meat Goats until I shattered my right shoulder in a farm accident. We kept Great Pyrenees in with the herd, no coddling, no grooming but plenty of love. Over the years we had 7 Great Pyrenees, 5 females 2 males. Only 2 we had a problem with and they were both "unfixed" dogs, one male one female. Fonzy was killing and eating kid goats as the doe goat was delivering them. Doris was killing the kids when they were jumping around. Why the dogs did it only Mother Nature knows, both dogs were shot, no reprieve. We never kept another intact dog with the herd again.

Maybe that is the problem you are having with your dog. I don't know, it's just a thought.

20240704_175905.jpg goat feeder 012.JPG 100_0376.jpg

😂 Such a contradiction here. Hard for you to believe a pyr doesn't know the difference between something "in its flock" being in distress or making content sounds, but easy for you to believe a pyr is killing something "in its flock" for entertainment.

I hope the OP figures it out quickly because it sounds like dad already has a strong opinion.
There's absolutely a difference for them! They notice a distress call. It's whether it sends them into protection or mob mode. It's just not how it works for us. You do have to resign yourself to understanding to an extent what compels and motivates them is not human. Even though it's just as needed. It totally counts even though part of it comes from another place then heart and soul.

Last edited:
This is a working dog that has to have a job. Some consider guarding the job and others need more stimulation. If guarding isn't working, try a new job. Take her to Obedience training. It's the best way for the 2 of you to increase your bond. Do what it takes to keep her away from the flock while you're doing other jobs, then try again with the flock but no babies, ease her back into babies with alot of "be nice to babies," type training (whatever command works for you,) doing this as if she's a pup again. I don't ever understand how people are so quick to talk re-homing as if chickens are for life, but dog's are not. It'd be different if you were one of those threads where owner has hate for dog and is therefore not willing to do some work since a job for her does also mean a job for you. So kudo's for the love and understanding you have for her. I have this happen sometimes where all is good and then one day not all is good. But you work through it, there is always a solution for both dog and chickens. Fences make more than good nieghbors. Good Luck! I hope you keep us posted. I see many supportive, thoughtful suggestions here. :love
Spot on! 🎯 without you for discernment it's just a opportunistic carnivore with about the most alluring prey in existence in front of them 😜 no matter how much you try to genetically create an athlete if you sit them in front of video games all day don't be shocked if you don't get an athlete!

Back
Top Bottom