How high does the pen fence need to be???

dawnieworld

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 4, 2010
New Hampshire
We are using 4 FT chain link for the pen. Got it free from my brother who was taking it down. I think we got easily sucked in because of the "FREE" aspect to it.
big_smile.png

Now I'm thinking it's not high enough. How high can a chicken fly? I've heard clipping the wings may help....any comments or suggestions on that???

Thanks so much for all your help...I'm a newbie and my girls should be going out into the big bad world next weekend so I'm a bit nervous.

Dawn
smile.png

I would think 4 feet is tall enough if you cover the top with wire. In my area, I have to cover all tops to prevent predators from the sky from killing every one of them. Hawks, ospreys, eagles, owls, etc. can dive bomb so fast you wouldn't believe it. And then there are the four footed beasties like rats, raccoons, cats (wild and otherwise), some dogs, and Lord knows what else that may climb over and enjoy a captive "buffet". Just cover it with chicken wire and stop worrying. You will need to cover the vertical sides of the chain link with hardware cloth (1/2 x 1/2" squares). And be SURE to cover the gaps where the door meets the post. Friends of mine lost many good breeders because raccoons worked in a pack to scare the chickens toward the end with the door gap while the others yanked them out through it. It was not a pretty sight.

By the way.....free is always better!!!!!

Well, I should have clarified that. The chickens will have a large 4 ft pen (chain link), no top to it. But within the pen is going to be a seperate fully enclosed pen that will be attached to the coop. This way they can spend some time in the enclosure when we are not home and then go out into the larger open run when we are home. My concern is whether or not the chickens can fly out of it. How high do they fly when they are full grown?

Depends on the chickens.
We have 6 ft chainlink outer enclosure. it keeps in the EEs, generally, the orps always ( so far), the leghorn- occasionally except when she flys up to the roofs and out when she wants to. And Barney, our new 6 month old Arcauna roo, laughs at me and flies directly to the 6 ft high rail and over.

My fenced in area is 4 feet high, but I don't have a top rail. I found that if there is a top rail, they will easily jump to that spot to escape...once I eliminated any top rail "goals" they haven't gotten out since.

Back
Top Bottom