How to deal with dogs if I can't shoot them?

columbiacritter

Songster
11 Years
Jun 7, 2008
Scappoose Oregon
Legally I could. But every line of site from my house toward the coops is down hill into a neighbors house. I won't risk shooting a person to get a dog.

I've recently reinforced several gates so I haven't seen them in my pasture recently but I know it's only a matter of time before they are back. There's 5 of them, a yellow lab, 3 aussies and a husky. So far they haven't gotten any of my birds, but not for lack of trying.

There's no reasoning with the owners. They are hard core druggies. To brain damaged to be dangerous anymore.

How's animal control in your neck of the woods?
It can be expensive to bail your dogs out, especially if you have to do it over and over again. Can you get the dogs to take treats from you and hold them until animal control picks them up?

Do you have animal control? If so, catch them and call them up.

Then when your neighbor comes a lookin, say I haven't seen them for a couple of days, they were always so nice to play with......... I hope they're ok.

I agree. Electric fence is one answer. Another that I have used is the battery operated guns that shoot the small plastic balls. Stings but not kills!!

shoot the owners,save a dog....
big_smile.png

A 410 with bird shot or rat shot in any cal. wont kill anyone but it will get the point across i am a dog owner and raise german sheperds i dont like this but it is what it is try raising dogs and fight the males off when in heat I hate it but take care of your animals or i have to good luck

animal control is almost non existent. We are pretty rural. They did come out once when the cops raided a drug house with an abundance of pitbulls. Those dogs were all sweeties they never let run loose.

If I catch the dogs and transport them to animal control they will take them. An option I've been reluctant to try without a long catch pole and heavy duty dog crates.

I wish I could just shoot and shovel.

Quote:
Oh if only I could. There's more than a few people around here who've talked about a group arson project to get rid of all of them. Unfortunately they never all leave at once so we can't safely burn the house down.

Back
Top Bottom