Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

My Pet Chicken gets their chickens from multiple hatcheries including Meyer. So they use the same pictures the hatchery they get the birds from uses.
Ohh,I didn't know that. thank you.
tongue.png

My Meyer hatchery dark Cornish with her new brood.

Totally excited to see your DarkCornish from Meyer and her brood. We have 4-5 Dark Cornishas well from Meyer and two have been broody. One way more serious than the other, she was broody most of Nov/Dec and she is broody again now, I am hoping she will be a good brooder and raiser of chicks. I have talked with other's that have Dark Cornish and I guess they are great for that. What has your experience been with yours?

Last edited:
This is the first time she's been broody, and unfortunately I don't have heated coops.....So any broody who can hatch out a brood in the weather we've had in NE Pa this past month is an awesome broody in my mind. She has done a great job with her chicks so far, only hatched 3, but the other eggs never started to develop (probably froze before I could collect them until she was ready) so that's not her fault.

This is the first time she's been broody, and unfortunately I don't have heated coops.....So any broody who can hatch out a brood in the weather we've had in NE Pa this past month is an awesome broody in my mind. She has done a great job with her chicks so far, only hatched 3, but the other eggs never started to develop (probably froze before I could collect them until she was ready) so that's not her fault.

Nice,I am glad she did well in the cold as we are in Colorado and have our fair share of snow and cold as well. I have not let her set yet because like you mentioned we don't have heated coops and nowhere for her to be inside with her brood. So I am trying to time it closer to nice weather with the hopes she will be broody again before late spring. We will see how that plays out, thanks for sharing.

I have question for everyone else that I have been trying to research why some of our egg yolks break easily, like when they hit the frying pan and others don't. Some of the suggestions have been pointed to a protein deficiency, the hen might be molting, they aren't getting enough variety in diet,etc.

I want to ask here hoping someone can help me with this question. Our girls are 9 months old and we have a mixed flock as far as breeds go. Thanks!

Last edited:
I have question for everyone else that I have been trying to research why some of our egg yolks break easily, like when they hit the frying pan and others don't. Some of the suggestions have been pointed to a protein deficiency, the hen might be molting, they aren't getting enough variety in diet,etc.

I want to ask here hoping someone can help me with this question. Our girls are 9 months old and we have a mixed flock as far as breeds go. Thanks!

x2!!! I went through a small period where every egg was like that. Now that I think of it, it was right after molting. But I had one do it to me yesterday. I can't remember if it was one of the older or younger ones. my first instinct was to up their protein as well. But I am still feeding a good commercial feed, so I wouldn't think there is suddenly a lack of protein in the diet. Maybe they just need a little more when it's colder?

Sorry, I realize I am only asking more questions! Lol

x2!!! I went through a small period where every egg was like that. Now that I think of it, it was right after molting. But I had one do it to me yesterday. I can't remember if it was one of the older or younger ones. my first instinct was to up their protein as well. But I am still feeding a good commercial feed, so I wouldn't think there is suddenly a lack of protein in the diet. Maybe they just need a little more when it's colder?

Sorry, I realize I am only asking more questions! Lol

Since they sometimes stop laying in cold weather because they spend more energy on keeping themselves warm, it also make sense that some of the protein that nutrients that would normally make their eggs stronger would also be used up trying to stay warm. Let's just pray for warmer weather!!

Since they sometimes stop laying in cold weather because they spend more energy on keeping themselves warm, it also make sense that some of the protein that nutrients that would normally make their eggs stronger would also be used up trying to stay warm. Let's just pray for warmer weather!!

Yep someone else suggested that, as well as some indications it might be breed specific, who knows as I have no idea who is laying these eggs and no ways to tell right now with 23 hens. Someone else suggested adding sea kelp to the feed, thinking it could be a lack of micro-nutrients. So now are we thoroughly unsure what to think? Lol

Yep someone else suggested that, as well as some indications it might be breed specific, who knows as I have no idea who is laying these eggs and no ways to tell right now with 23 hens. Someone else suggested adding sea kelp to the feed, thinking it could be a lack of micro-nutrients. So now are we thoroughly unsure what to think? Lol

If you can narrow it down to a manageable number of possible hens you can always use the food coloring in the vent trick. lol

With my 10 girls, I should have kept better track of who it was. But as soon as I was about to do it, it stopped. Are any of your girls molting?

I contacted a BYCer about her wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucana eggs. You know, those amazingly blue ones. Anyhow, I know I want to throw some of my own eggs in there too. Is it too early for me to try to hatch the younger group's eggs? They've been laying since early January. So....this leads me to millions of genetic questions! But I figure, for the most part, I could have BBS ameraucanas, EES, and OEs. Oh and the wheatens. How am I going to limit myself? I guess THAT is the real question!

Back
Top Bottom