MJ's little flock

It's very interesting to see the laying patterns change as the chickens go through life.

Ivy is the youngest layer. She's providing 5-6 eggs a week.

Then comes Peggy. She's on Janet's old schedule of two eggs in three days. However, maybe her troublesome pancreas is slowing her down.

Janet's new schedule is one egg in two days. I wonder if this is wholly due to ageing or partly due to her troublesome eye.

Mary's schedule is fifteen eggs earlier this year. Every now and then she reminisces, which I reliably mistake for laying :barnie
Mary and Lilly just hanging out in the nesting boxes. How old is Mary? Do you know? I don't remember.

Tap has turned out to be the most precocious hen I've met!
She has all her mothers (Mel) attitude and none of Cillins mellowness.
This is her this morning. At the house on her own demanding breakfast.
P6163915.JPG

Mary and Lilly just hanging out in the nesting boxes. How old is Mary? Do you know? I don't remember.
That's the strange thing, I think she's only two. But who knows whether that nasty chicken breeder was telling the truth about her age. She was full sized but gawky when I brought her home.

Tap has turned out to be the most precocious hen I've met!
She has all her mothers (Mel) attitude and none of Cillins mellowness.
This is her this morning. At the house on her own demanding breakfast.
View attachment 2198067
Oy! I said OY! Breakfast.

That's the strange thing, I think she's only two. But who knows whether that nasty chicken breeder was telling the truth about her age. She was full sized but gawky when I brought her home.
I've just had a very careful look at Mary while she was preening and it was clear some of her feathers haven't finished growing.

But then I remembered there's no causality between feathers and eggs. So she doesn't get laying sympathy after all.

Back
Top Bottom