NY chicken lover!!!!

Giving mushroom growing on logs a try in the spring. Looks easy and can be done on small firewood size blocks. 100 dowel spawn kits are around $15. Going to try shiitake, maitake and chicken of the woods. Chicken of the woods can be used as a substitute for chicken in a vegetarian diet, they say it tastes like chicken.
Both maitake ( also called hen of the woods or sheeps head in the US) and chicken of the woods both grow and can be foraged wild here in NY and can grow up to a hundred pounds. The health benefits of maitake is just unbelievable great.

Make sure mice and chipmunks can't get to your logs - they love mushrooms too! They ate all mine....
sad.png

I bet all chicken facilities are about the same. this is probably true ugh...of all commerical slaughter houses
Even the place with the happy singing chickens has had some bad publicity. Did you see the one with Bob Barker?

Hum,don't remember that video ever being restricted???
There was probably a complaint about the video ...I wouldnt want young children watching it either
Age-restricted video (based on Community Guidelines).

Jumping into the discussion with a question/worry. Also posted in another thread...
My babies are a month old now, I'm so attached. But they are all over my office, getting out of the brooder. I don't blame them, it's too crowded. I am not worried about having to clean the heck out of my office, linoleum floor and all, but they aren't happy. I want to put them outside ASAP. The coop is pretty much finished, I just need to finish the strip to close up the doorway and we decided to put insulation on the ceiling and north wall. I'm freaking out that they will be too cold. The coop is huge compared to them right now 12x10 with 7x7 open floor (no roost or anything). The ceilings are peaked at about 7 to 8ft? I guess my question is, can they go out there?

Being it is chilly and they are young yet, I would have a heat lamp in the coop. You can gradually wean them off it as they get bigger. My adults go all winter without an added heat source. I usually only hatch in the spring.

Hi guys. I'm Peggy and I live about 20 miles south of Ithaca, NY. Right now I'm down sizing my girls for the winter, but usually have about 25 to 35 chickens. Fell in love with Blue Cochins, they seem to handle our weather very well. I have a variety of different chickens, BR, Cochins, Royalle Faverole,EE, NHR, white Giant, Wyandotte, Shaver Red, Buff Orp., Austrolorp,Speckled sussex, that's it for now but am always adding more!!!!!/img/smilies/roll.png

My babies are a month old now, I'm so attached. But they are all over my office, getting out of the brooder. I don't blame them, it's too crowded.
what is your brooder like ? can you cover it ? or get a bigger container ?
it has to be gradual..what temperature are they at now 70 ?
The ceilings are peaked at about 7 to 8ft? I guess my question is, can they go out there?put a thermometer in there to see what the temp gets ?
if they do go out they should have some kind of heat at night as they are littles..
OR put them inside a cardboard box in the coop (no heat they will provide it )or put the brooder inside the coop & cover it with a blanket at night to keep the heat in Got some pics ?

Oh, yes, I intend a heat lamp in there too... do you think it will be enough?Use
I used TWO bulbs.

One is this kind and one the red light. Though the red is very dangerous. If they're fully feathered two of this kind might work and be safer. They come in various wattage I believe. Why two? Because I've had bulbs burn out and I've lost chicks.

mexf3PQGSDIN9oZ3HX5ElQA.jpg

You are all great... I will do this on Friday... although if the weather is warm and not raining, I may bring them out for a little bit to play tomorrow and Thursday. There IS a thermometer in there, with today's mild temps, the coop was an even 60. I put the heat lamp in there for an hour and it went up to 62. The thermometer is on the north wall. The heat lamp will be in the south west corner. I have a few more security issues before I can put them out and I want to wait until I can sit up all night on patrol. I'm a nervous momma.

Back
Top Bottom