NY chicken lover!!!!

I used TWO bulbs. 

One is this kind and one the red light.  Though the red is very dangerous. If they're fully feathered two of this kind might work and be safer.  They come in various wattage I believe.  Why two? Because I've had bulbs burn out and I've lost chicks. 

mexf3PQGSDIN9oZ3HX5ElQA.jpg

Just a quick warning on these - they are called ceramic heat emitters and they get HOT. I have one for my bearded dragon. They should not be used in a fixture that has a plastic place where the bulb screws in, only ones that have ceramic. They get so hot they can melt the plastic.

Just a quick warning on these - they are called ceramic heat emitters and they get HOT. I have one for my bearded dragon. They should not be used in a fixture that has a plastic place where the bulb screws in, only ones that have ceramic. They get so hot they can melt the plastic.
gotcha. I use it in the same light fixture meant for the 250 watters. Though mine is a lower wattage. Not 250.

It's warm 125 I think. Just enough to keep them warm if the other burns out.

I only use the fixtures for the heat lights.

Everyone else. I candled to night and there looks to be quite a few eggs developing. I really hope the Marans turn out.

I took Buckwheats egg and tossed it. It was another still born I think. I cracked the shell at the air pocket and nothing.

I hope a lot of the incubator eggs hatch. I've got more than the turner full. I thought I might take the extras and give them to Buckwheat before she breaks. She'd have another 10 days to go before they hatched.

Any thoughts on my plan?

Do you know if these are coated with Teflon? If so, they are dangerous in a confined space for chickens - something about fumes??

You are all great... I will do this on Friday... although if the weather is warm and not raining, I may bring them out for a little bit to play tomorrow and Thursday. There IS a thermometer in there, with today's mild temps, the coop was an even 60. I put the heat lamp in there for an hour and it went up to 62. The thermometer is on the north wall. The heat lamp will be in the south west corner. I have a few more security issues before I can put them out and I want to wait until I can sit up all night on patrol. I'm a nervous momma.

Can you post a pic of your brooder ? coop ?

Do you know if these are coated with Teflon? If so, they are dangerous in a confined space for chickens - something about fumes??

They aren't. I had to find out because I also keep parrots and the fumes from anything Teflon are deadly to them. No Teflon in my house :) If it can do that to animals, it certainly can't be very good for us either.

I candled to night and there looks to be quite a few eggs developing. I really hope the  Marans turn out. 

I took Buckwheats egg and tossed it. It was another still born I think. I cracked the shell at the air pocket and nothing. 

I hope a lot of the incubator eggs hatch. I've got more than the turner full. I thought I might take the extras and give them to Buckwheat before she breaks.   She'd have another 10 days to go before they hatched. 

Any thoughts on my plan?  

How long has she been sitting? I bet she'd appreciate the eggs. If you're worried the eggs she has are dying because she wasn't keeping them warm enough, maybe wait until the incubator eggs are due to hatch before slipping them under her?

ep.gif
I've heard many people swear by them,better than heat lamps because they don't blow. I've always had chicks in my house so I don't think I have to worry about a blown heat bulb, I just don't think it is good to leave a light on them constant, they don't sleep and make to much noise, bad enough they stink, not as bad as ducklings but they eventually stink.

They aren't. I had to find out because I also keep parrots and the fumes from anything Teflon are deadly to them. No Teflon in my house
smile.png
If it can do that to animals, it certainly can't be very good for us either.
Wow good to know, I didn't plan on using them anyways, but I don't plan on using heat lamps either, decided to go with a premier heat plate, had many say they were not worth the expense, but I do not want to worry about a fire, or a blown heat bulb. What do you think? The way I figure it, heat bulbs cost and don't last forever, mine is still good but for how long? If those plates have a decent life I think they are worth it. If anything they might sleep at night instead of making tons of noise keeping me up, they only seem to sleep periodically and eat and make tons of noise at night with a heat lamp.

Last edited:
ep.gif
I've heard many people swear by them,better than heat lamps because they don't blow. I've always had chicks in my house so I don't think I have to worry about a blown heat bulb, I just don't think it is good to leave a light on them constant, they don't sleep and make to much noise, bad enough they stink, not as bad as ducklings but they eventually stink.
, decided to go with a premier heat plate, had many say they were not worth the expense, but I do not want to worry about a fire, or a blown heat bulb. What do you think? The way I figure it, heat bulbs cost and don't last forever, mine is still good but for how long? If those plates have a decent life I think they are worth it. If anything they might sleep at night instead of making tons of noise keeping me up, they only seem to sleep periodically and eat and make tons of noise at night with a heat lamp.
I dont know about the heat plate ..havent used it ..sounds good
My 1st chicks I had in the house & used those hot bulbs ..they always seemed to be too warm ..
after a week having the babies ...i covered them up with a blanket at night & turned off the lights ..
6 of them in the house at 70 degrees ..it was warm enough...they all cuddled up & went to sleep .
They were fine
so if I am incubating / raising chicks in the house I do this ...
I even used a regular 75 watt bulb in the bin & they were warm enough with just 2 chicks
chickens also get the idea that when it gets dark it is bed time

Back
Top Bottom