NY chicken lover!!!!

speaking of auctions...anyone know when they hold the ones in Batavia? Or any on the west side of the state? I have 5 cockerals ready to find a new home and since I will probably not be able to get rid of them on CL, I will need to get them to the auction. and pray no one eats them
hmm.png
After my experience rehoming roos last year I would rather take them to the auction and not know what happens to them.

Quote:
Looks like they're on sundays. March 13th & 27th, April 10th & 17th are the dates I saw. Consignments @ 8 am & auction starts at 11:30.

How are their auctions?

Thanks Renee. I have yet to go to one. I am still trying to work out if I can eat my own chickens vs trying to sell them at an auction!

So far, we've only eaten a few splash orp boys. They were downright mean, so we had no problem eating them! I thought the kids would be funny about it, but they were both totally OK with it! We end up either giving most of the roos away or selling them at auction too. I think I'd like to be more self-sustaining, though.

We're planning on getting a few Cornish X from TSC next week. They grow so fast into ugly little buggers, that I think I'll be fine eating them. Hubby thought I wanted to breed them! LOL! We have Dorkings & can already see that some of the new chicks are boys. Dorking is supposed to be one of the best tasting poultry breeds in the world with some wonderful breast meat. Maybe we can do a comparison BBQ with a few different breeds! Delawares are supposed to be good eatin too.
smile.png

thumbsup.gif
for Hannah! I know of some nubian and Saanen Dairy Goats I believe there are does and billies...forgive me if wrong terms....they are able to be registered and I believe at a discount. I think they are around 125 a piece. It anyone is interested I will forward you the information. Thanks for thinking about them.

Last edited:
Quote:
the auction is sodus is where perry use to work before he started the auctions in brideport. i really like the auction in sodus.

Do you have dates for the auction in Sodus?

sunday april 10,2010

consignments at 7 auction at 10. in spring people start lining up at 5 for consigments but they wont take til 7.

they have food there on site. hotdogs, hamburgs, breakfast sandwiches, salt potatoe,s coffee, hot coco, soda, bottled water.
everything is outside under tent. very clean but there is mud of coarse.

only down fall is they only have port o pottys
roll.png

i am thing about taking one of my nubian does. roos and some chicks. i think i might even part with some runners.

anyone know of anyone with blue eyed mini nubian or nigerians? i am looking for buck or buckling. doesn't have to be registered. pet quailty is ok.

hoping maybe i can find nice buckling at auction. maybe
big_smile.png

Last edited:
For anyone interested in Goats please learn before buying . Buy disease tested stock . You want them free of cae and cl . A cheap price tag may lead to heart ache and high Vet bills .

After all if you plan on them putting food on your table you would want them healthy right ?

Also some consider the dam to be a good milker giving 1/2 gallon a day . I consider a good milker as one giving 1 gallon plus a day . Takes the same housing , basic feed and care to keep a poor milker as it does a good milker .

OK off my soap box ...and I know nothing about the goats mentioned . Just do your research and buy wisely.

Patty

Quote:
whats the address i might go? auction starts at 1130 that a long time to wait if you bring consignments.

The address is:
689 Burrows Rd.
West Winfield, NY 13495

I know... it is a long time & also a long drive for me! I used to drive over to Bridgeport around 7, then go home or run whatever errands you can do at the crack of dawn...lol. Hope there's a good breakfast joint near there.

Its a 45 minute drive for me, I drop off the birds, and leave. There is no reason to stay because they mail you your money the next week. You can't get it after the auction anymore.

Quote:
Thanks Renee. I have yet to go to one. I am still trying to work out if I can eat my own chickens vs trying to sell them at an auction!

So far, we've only eaten a few splash orp boys. They were downright mean, so we had no problem eating them! I thought the kids would be funny about it, but they were both totally OK with it! We end up either giving most of the roos away or selling them at auction too. I think I'd like to be more self-sustaining, though.

We're planning on getting a few Cornish X from TSC next week. They grow so fast into ugly little buggers, that I think I'll be fine eating them. Hubby thought I wanted to breed them! LOL! We have Dorkings & can already see that some of the new chicks are boys. Dorking is supposed to be one of the best tasting poultry breeds in the world with some wonderful breast meat. Maybe we can do a comparison BBQ with a few different breeds! Delawares are supposed to be good eatin too.
smile.png

If you want to get a good price for your birds, you have to get there early, like at 7am. If you go later, the late animals don't bring as much money.

I just started processing my own birds instead ot going to the auction. Its not hard, and probably worth it because after spring, you won't get much more than a dollar per bird. Prices people pay after May or so are slim to nothing. Just driving to W Winfield makes if a losing proposition.

I just canned 45 quarts of chicken meat and stock . We butcher the chickens and skin them {older ones} then I pressure cook them for about 4-5 hours . Pick off meat , season stock and can . This way if I want chicken and dumpling soup or whatever I just open a few jars and away we go .

Back
Top Bottom